Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High limit credit card?

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: High limit credit card?

You only have two open tradelines and one of them is a charge card. How did you get an 820 score with that limited exposure.  Do you have closed accounts?  Alot of closed accounts?  Lottery winner?

NFCU would be my guess as to best chance but you have to lower your expections abit

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 11 of 38
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Established credit history 15+ years.

no military affiliation.

Cash Back over Travel.

Currently have AMEX Gold NPSL - 40,000 POT

and 1 Credit Card from my Credit Union 10k limit bank max.

Perhaps this is just me but I do not see a $50,000 profile here. The thing is that charge cards do not report their limits to the reports so unless you charged up to your $40,000 nobody but AmEx will ever know that POT amount. This means that the only real limits that are truly visible guaranteed on the reports are the ones from the CU.

What I do see is a $10,000 profile which might mean you can get higher limits slightly on most new lines. The exception is if you apply to AmEx who might try to get you a reasonable line. The other option is NFCU but they definitely are not going to hand you that much off the starting line. Perhaps $20,000-30,000 could be issued but I do not think that much is acceptable for the profile. The underwriter can override me of course. The one thing I guarantee is that what you are asking is a little much.

Is there a reason you are looking for a $50,000 credit line?

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 12 of 38
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Avianca Vuela.  But, with your profile the odds of approval with a $50K SL are probably going to be very long at best.   It's also an airline card most useful if you fly Star Alliance metal.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 38
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

biz cards generally have the highest limits.  40-50 is easy on any of the Inks

That depends.

They can.

But a lender wants to see you need high limits.

So it depends on the business and the numbers you submit.

*Chase approved me for four personal cards with SL's of $35K, 33K, 30K and 22K in past year.  But then they only approved me for $9K on INK Business Preferred which I PC'd to INK Business Cash.  (I only claimed a small sole proprietorship so they funded me accordingly.)  I've moved some of the limits around since then so two cards in my profile now show only $10K but they were approved higher.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 14 of 38
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I agree with others that your profile probably won't support $50K+ limits right now. 

Most banks work you up to those higher limits. It takes time.

Some banks or credit unions have maximum card limits as low as $10K (which is considered as a "high credit limit" if  you look up the definition.)    Maximum card limits of $25K to $50K aren't uncommon, depending on the lender.  Two of my cards are capped at max $25K.

Some banks might give you a super-high limit if you push your credit line often, pay your balance, and they see you need more.  But you may have to ask them.

If you don't have the spend going on, more banks may work you up to higher limits as you build trust with them. Some are quicker to do that than others.  

One way to bypass some of the above is if you have significant investments with a bank.  Their Wealth Management team may be able to help you get a high limit card as a courtesy for being a high-value customer.

Generally new limits on an account (save a few very generous exceptions) fall within a reasonably close range to what you have already demonstrated you can successfully manage on other accounts.  So leveraging your limits higher with CLI's on your existing accounts will help you get higher SLs on new cards.

Business Cards

Message 15 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought my credit cards where the topic... not my entire credit history....
I have lots of closed accounts if that matters. Autos, mortgage, boats, etc. my 820 has plenty of depth if that’s what you’re asking.....
Message 16 of 38
swpopham
Established Contributor

As someone with highlimit cards. I can tell you  my only high starting limit was 40k on the apple card. Everything else has grown over 2-7 years up to 80k,70,60k and similar. 

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 17 of 38
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I thought my credit cards where the topic... not my entire credit history....
I have lots of closed accounts if that matters. Autos, mortgage, boats, etc. my 820 has plenty of depth if that’s what you’re asking.....
@Anonymous wrote:  (Original Posting)

Ready to add a High limit credit card to the mix.

What is out there right now that does not have some outrageous fee that I can get a 50k ish limit with?

score 820+

excellent income

Well, the topic was specifically how to add high-limit credit cards.

So your overall credit history comes into play.

That's just the way it works. 

High credit lines are dependent on many other factors.

Non-revolving credit lines for mortgage, auto, and boat lines are good ... but they don't carry the same weight for new revolving lines of credit that previous history with revolving lines of credit carries.   Non-revolving credit lines do help your overall score by mix of credit and payment history.  But that won't make a lender suddenly approve you for a high revolving line of credit when your highest limit is $10K. 

I agree with @

" ... charge cards do not report their limits to the reports so unless you charged up to your $40,000 nobody but AmEx will ever know that POT amount. This means that the only real limits that are truly visible guaranteed on the reports are the ones from the CU ($10K) ..."

I recently made a detailed posting about high limit cards. 

Read it here if you'd like more information:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Credit-Card-Management-So-many-cards-So-many-limits/m-p/5724730#M1664057

Business Cards

Message 18 of 38
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@swpopham wrote:

As someone with highlimit cards. I can tell you  my only high starting limit was 40k on the apple card. Everything else has grown over 2-7 years up to 80k,70,60k and similar. 

Concur. 

Google "high credit card limit" and you'll find it is defined at $10K. 

The highest starting lines I have been approved for were $25K to $35K, and that was with other open lines of credit in that neighborhood which had years of history with other lenders.  And that is also with high 800+ credit scores and 'excellent income' (well into six figures.)

Most limits take years to grow significantly. 

Business Cards

Message 19 of 38
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ready to add a High limit credit card to the mix. What is out there right now that does not have some outrageous fee that I can get a 50k ish limit with?

score 820+

excellent income

Capital One, CSP, CSR and Penfed come to mind. But if you dont have any other cards with limits that high you are going to have to build that rapport. I would second someone saying AMEX since you already have a good account standing with the charge card. You could get a high limit revovler. But I would be willing to bet Chase and Amex and Capital one woudl start you at 20K plus. Chase and Amex would be the easier of the two to get CLI on because they would just ask for income verification which I am sure you would be willing to provide. Keep in mind Chase will HP for CLI, Amex will not. Penfed recently changed there policy on limit but I saw someone get instantly approved for 43.5K recently cant remember the person off hand. You might even want to try BOFA. They give out pretty good limits and they SP for CLI

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.