Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher Credit Limits

tag
Tito1183
Regular Contributor

Higher Credit Limits

Will having a higher limit credit card open the doors for CLIs and potential higher limit cards?

Current Lender/Balance/Limit

Discover $900/$3800

PP MC $0 / $2000 (put all my monthly spend here for the 2%, payoff multile times prior to statement cut)

AMEX Blue $0 / $1,000

AMEX ED $0 / $1,000

Chase FU $0/$500

Wayfair Comenity $185/$2000

All above accounts are around 1 year 3 months, except AMEX ED which will be 1 year 3/23.

Approved yesterday for MidFlorida CU VISA - $10,000.

Will having this card reporting now open the doors to better credit limits?

FICO 8 EQ 668 TU 643 EXP 664

Goal is decent limit on a VISA or MC with no foreign trx fee when I go to Europe next year around May. Working on cleaning up some old medical bills.

Current inquiries EQ/EX/TU 15/13/10 which are from rebuild, closing on new house Feb 2018 and getting a new car. Won’t be applying till Mar or Apr 2020, should be at EQ/EX/TU 7/5/5. The MidFlorida VISA does not offer free foreign transactions. Opened an account at the CU and figured might as well use the HP they use for the account, which resulted in a $10K limit. Income is $105,000/year.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Higher Credit Limits

Yes, having that high of a limit card should open the door from other issuers after a few months. 

Message 2 of 12
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

For me, since PenFed bumped me up to $50k & BofA Alaska was bumped up to $42.5K (both about 10 months ago) many of my other creditors (like Comm DSW, CitiBank, & Chase have either auto CLI'd me considerably or been very generous with soft cli requests).

Not much else has changed with my credit profile. Util has been 6-9% over the last year, no new acounts since October 18, & scores have been in the 780-800 range steadily for the last year.

Since the 2 above cards were bumped to 50k & 42.5k respectively, Commentity bumped by DSW card from 10k to 20k on a cli request, Chase bumped my Amazon card from 13k to 26k on auto cli, Brittish Airways went from 16.5k to 21.5k on auto cli, & Citi bumped both my AA & Costco card from 10k each to 15k each last week via request.

Message 3 of 12
JaseT
Established Contributor

Isn't the PP CB Rewards a no FTF card? I would think you could get the limit up higher in the next 14 months on that card with as generous as Synch can be.

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 4 of 12
xaximus
Valued Contributor

It's a bit hard to say. I would definitely to SP CLIs on the Paypal, Discover and Amex if you havn't done so already. Also, I would try to get those medical bills cleared as soon as you can, they definitely are holding your scores down. Also, review your credit reports and see if there's anything else in there that shouldn't be there. Depending on how many medical bills and amounts, you may be losing anywhere between 50-100 points. I would concentrate on removing the baddies prior to anything else.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tito1183 wrote:

FICO 8 EQ 668 TU 643 EXP 664

IMO, the constraint to you getting higher limits is related to the above... profile strength.  Your utilization seems to be fine, so your scores are suggestive of negative items present (payment history) on your CR.  Being the most important sector of the FICO pie, this is almost certainly the constraint to your credit limits.  Clearly the one lender with which you just obtained a $10k card was willing to look past those negatives, but it doesn't mean that the others will.  Having that higher CL tradeline can only help though, that I agree with.

Message 6 of 12
Tito1183
Regular Contributor

Agreed and you are correct, there are some old medical derogs that I’m working thru
Message 7 of 12
Tito1183
Regular Contributor

Thanks!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Working on getting those medical derogs removed will dramatically improve your profile in the eyes of lenders.
Message 9 of 12
zerofire
Valued Contributor

While having a 10k card on your report will pull other lenders into that area as a match incentive there is a high probability that your new account has not reported yet. There are very few banks that report overnight and CU's are known to be even slower. Your best best is to wait for the first statement to cut for it to report. Then the CU will be the one that will be seen as the one to beat. Naturally it does not work for all lenders but for some it is a motivation.

You will want to work on cleaning up any late, charge off, or even BK's. Those will hurt bad. Also utilization can get you if you do not pay attention at low limits.

The PayPal 2% Cashback that you have actually does not have any FTF. I remember looking at the paperwork and going wow that will need to be my international card.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.