Highest cashback for utilities

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Highest cashback for utilities

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ragdollkitty wrote:

That's interesting that the cell phone is also covered under "Utilities" for that card. For Us bank Cash +, it's a separate category.

hi there @Ragdollkitty (or anyone with Cash+ willing to answer) How does one know which bill codes as what? As an example both my internet and mobile bills with Xfinity are listed as phone/cable on QS but I don't know if that would be the same case for Cash+ once I'm able to get it in the distant future. I'd prefer to stick with tv/internet/streaming and home utilities as the 5% categories but idk if that means I'd be losing out on 5% back with cell phone bills.

With Cash+, neither codes as utility bill. 

Utilities are separate category on Cash+.

Using cash+ for phone would be one of their 5% categories, and you'd have to pick cable (and whatever else they bundled with it) as a second 5% category. 

Utilities would be things like electric, water, sewage, gas etc.

You cannot have all three since they allow two choices for 5% cash back.

Both Xfinity Mobile and Comcast cable code as they should. 

I wasn't hoping to have all three as I can see thats not possible. (also aware of what qualifies as home utilities) Mainly was wondering how my mobile and internet bills would code. Looks like I thought correctly. If cable codes as cable not phone/cable like QS then I'd use the two categories I picked and miss out on the 5% phone. 

My fault, probably worded the initial question poorly. Thanks for the help Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 33
Veronik2019
Contributor

Also, in the future you could apply for a regular US Bank Platinum card ( if it has a more lenient criteria) and get like 21 months 0% and corvert it to a Cash + Visa down the road. I did it with both of my platinum cards at 6 months old, I upgraded them to Visa Signatures and still kept a longer 0% introductory period. I'm still at 0% till April 2021 on both cards. 

Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SirMilo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So the BBVA card utilities category covers car insurance? That makes it a huge card if so. I'll have to consider that for the near future. 

I am the person who has been saying and can confirm that BBVA is showing FARMERS Insurance as 'utilities", both home and auto. This is very much a YMMV situation with other insurance companies since I haven't tried any others. After realizing that my entire monthly overhead is covered by "utilities", other than food and fuel, it's my goto 3x option every quarter.

That is some great information thank you. Great that it looks like it covers phone bill and internet as well.

Message 23 of 33
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I love how people keep pushing the AOD 3% Visa as if it's possible for anyone to get approved for it anymore.

I'm gardening with the intention to app for a USBank Cash+ next year for precisely this use case.

AOD is still advertising for the card, so I assume people are still getting approved. This was on their Facebook a few days ago. 

CD7B0CE4-741F-4BBE-B701-089310CDD098.jpeg

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 24 of 33
JNA1
Valued Contributor

While I do plan on getting the Cash + to capture $2000 per quarter of my bills spend, but being that BBVA is 3% uncapped including insurance, it is better overall for bills if you could only one card. 

I've earned $472 in cash back so far this on my BBVA card mainly using it for bills and utilities, so I'm on pace to earn about $560-$570 for the year.

D63600D5-B4A7-4A92-9B93-8BA0ECC16309.png

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 25 of 33
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous @cahoot2005 

BBVA is being acquired by PNC, so those interested in any BBVA product

should take note.

Message 26 of 33
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Not to mention,

BBVA is very giving with CCs. You can grab two Clear points over time and possibly three if you need multiple categories.

There's a prequal page dedicated to the Clear points and Rewards CCs. Just did the prequal for both.

I already have 4 CC's with BBVA. Currently they show me as prequalified for both cards again.

Normally IME it is 6 months from the time you secure a CC or two before the system allows you to prequal and acquire additional CC's.

It is also possible to prequal for two different cards and obtain both at the same time on the same HP. Though YMMV.

https://www.bbvausa.com/special/clearpoints.html

https://www.bbvausa.com/special/rewards.html

BBVA clear point latest.png

Message 27 of 33
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I didn't pick utilities on Cash+ as 5% category because there is always someone offering extra rewards on those.

I've received three separate offers from Chase alone for additional URs on utilities.

I know one cannot rely on those offers, I might get another one next month, or in five years, but my cell phone and cable are high enough to justify having Cash+

Cash+ is a decent card, but I think it benefits those without too many cards the most. 

Message 28 of 33
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I love love love the Cash + CC😀. It's locked in on Utilities and Cell phones every month.

Message 29 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

I didn't pick utilities on Cash+ as 5% category because there is always someone offering extra rewards on those.

I've received three separate offers from Chase alone for additional URs on utilities.

I know one cannot rely on those offers, I might get another one next month, or in five years, but my cell phone and cable are high enough to justify having Cash+

Cash+ is a decent card, but I think it benefits those without too many cards the most. 

All fantastic points above ^^^.  Smiley Happy

At the risk of getting off-topic, if one has Freedom and/or Discover, using the PayPal Key can provide an additional option for 5% back for utilities as well (for half the year if one has both Freedom and Discover, assuming the quarterly categories stay the same). 

Back to the Cash+, my own stays "parked" on utilities and TV, internet, and streaming services.  It's a very hard worker for me. Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.