cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest cashback for utilities

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Highest cashback for utilities

I use my BBVA Clearpoints for utilities and it works fine as long as you remember to reselect your categories every quarter. (They won't carry over your previous selections for some reason. If you don't reselect, they only give 1%). I believe I read here on the pages of MyFICO that insurance bills also trip the 3% utility category at BBVA, but I haven't tried it yet.

Or as others have said, go for the AOD Visa and get 3% on everything.

Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex Blue Cash ($24K), Amex Simply Cash+ ($4K), Amex Business Cash ($22.5K), Discover ($22.7K), Cap 1 Union Plus MC ($2500), Chase FU Visa Sig ($12K), Chase F Visa Sig ($8.3K), Chase CSP Visa Sig($6.5K), FCB/Elan Rewards Visa Sig($15K), Buckle ($1.3K), BofA AAA Rewards ($84.5K), Paypal credit ($10K), BBVA Clearpoints ($7.5K), Cap 1 Savor ($10K), PenFed PCR ($3500), Bank of the West CB MC ($3K)
Message 11 of 33
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Highest cashback for utilities

I love how people keep pushing the AOD 3% Visa as if it's possible for anyone to get approved for it anymore.

I'm gardening with the intention to app for a USBank Cash+ next year for precisely this use case.

 

Message 12 of 33
Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Highest cashback for utilities

As others have mentioned the US Bank Cash + Visa card is a GREAT card for Utilitites. It gives you 5% cash back and it even gives you the 5% on the convieniece fee. Some utilities companies charge you a small fee for using a credit card but US Bank covers you on that as well. I have utilities/fast food and cell phone bill/ fast food as my categories. I got $70 on October out of a maximum of $200 per quarter. Got 2 cash + cards. 

Message 13 of 33
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Highest cashback for utilities


@the_old_curmudgeon wrote:

US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature has 5% cashback on up to $2000 in spend per quarter for 2 different categories combined that you can select. Utilities is one of the available categories.

 

As for questions regarding business cards, you will need to create a thread in the Business Credit section.  Discussion of business cards is not a suitable topic for this section of the forum.


Da** that US Bank for not approving me for this card Smiley Tongue






Potential Future Cards
Message 14 of 33
Highlighted
Valued Member

Re: Highest cashback for utilities


@ChargedUp wrote:

I use my BBVA Clearpoints for utilities and it works fine as long as you remember to reselect your categories every quarter. (They won't carry over your previous selections for some reason. If you don't reselect, they only give 1%). I believe I read here on the pages of MyFICO that insurance bills also trip the 3% utility category at BBVA, but I haven't tried it yet.

Or as others have said, go for the AOD Visa and get 3% on everything.


So the BBVA card utilities category covers car insurance? That makes it a huge card if so. I'll have to consider that for the near future. 

Message 15 of 33
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Highest cashback for utilities


@Swolehas wrote:


So the BBVA card utilities category covers car insurance? That makes it a huge card if so. I'll have to consider that for the near future. 


I am the person who has been saying and can confirm that BBVA is showing FARMERS Insurance as 'utilities", both home and auto. This is very much a YMMV situation with other insurance companies since I haven't tried any others. After realizing that my entire monthly overhead is covered by "utilities", other than food and fuel, it's my goto 3x option every quarter.

 

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 11.38.30 AM.jpg

Message 16 of 33
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Highest cashback for utilities

That's interesting that the cell phone is also covered under "Utilities" for that card. For Us bank Cash +, it's a separate category.

Message 17 of 33
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Highest cashback for utilities

Huntington The Voice Rewards Mastercard has a 3% category as well as cell phone coverage.

I was trying to think of another card besides AOD and USAlliance @3%.

 

Sound like the 5% card mentioned above is a winner.

 

 

 

CU's FTW! Best 3 cards are AOD 3%, USAlliance 3%, and Alliant 2%.
It's sad when the Big Boys can't stack up against CU's!
250k+ CL and climbing.
Plastiq Get 500 FFDs. 1225384 Acorns July 2019 53FTE4
Message 18 of 33
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Highest cashback for utilities


@Ragdollkitty wrote:

That's interesting that the cell phone is also covered under "Utilities" for that card. For Us bank Cash +, it's a separate category.


hi there @Ragdollkitty (or anyone with Cash+ willing to answer) How does one know which bill codes as what? As an example both my internet and mobile bills with Xfinity are listed as phone/cable on QS but I don't know if that would be the same case for Cash+ once I'm able to get it in the distant future. I'd prefer to stick with tv/internet/streaming and home utilities as the 5% categories but idk if that means I'd be losing out on 5% back with cell phone bills.

AAOA: 3 yrs 6 mo | UTIL: 5% | FICO 8: TBD 05/2021
Discover it $1.5 | Wayfair MC $4.5k | Cap One QS $1.2
Message 19 of 33
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: Highest cashback for utilities


@SatanFlower69 wrote:

@Ragdollkitty wrote:

That's interesting that the cell phone is also covered under "Utilities" for that card. For Us bank Cash +, it's a separate category.


hi there @Ragdollkitty (or anyone with Cash+ willing to answer) How does one know which bill codes as what? As an example both my internet and mobile bills with Xfinity are listed as phone/cable on QS but I don't know if that would be the same case for Cash+ once I'm able to get it in the distant future. I'd prefer to stick with tv/internet/streaming and home utilities as the 5% categories but idk if that means I'd be losing out on 5% back with cell phone bills.


With Cash+, neither codes as utility bill. 

Utilities are separate category on Cash+.

Using cash+ for phone would be one of their 5% categories, and you'd have to pick cable (and whatever else they bundled with it) as a second 5% category. 

Utilities would be things like electric, water, sewage, gas etc.

You cannot have all three since they allow two choices for 5% cash back.

 

Both Xfinity Mobile and Comcast cable code as they should. 

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.