Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest limit on an amex card?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Highest limit on an amex card?

I had a $50K one (till they closed it!) and as others have said, people with higher ones have posted here.  Plus, it's not too difficult to combine CLs, so if you have a few Amex cards you can combine them into one large one

Message 11 of 19
RonM21
Valued Contributor

$75K is just.....WOW. I couldn't even imagine in my small little world!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 12 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@RM21 wrote:
$75K is just.....WOW. I couldn't even imagine in my small little world!

Huge CLs get a lot of value here, but if you spend it, you have to pay it back, so for many people these CLs are more "vanity CL"s than anything that will get used.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very true.  I couldn't even swing using a $10-$20k limit, generally speaking.

Message 14 of 19
js0319
Established Contributor

I have $34.8k on my EDP, and DW has $34k on her BCE. Both without T-4506.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got my ED card pushed up to 20k! Initial limit was 5k merely 8mos ago .. Im on my way!!
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one that's 18k and one that's 36k I think that's plenty. I don't think I'll spend anywhere close to my total cl on my cards. If I do I'm in trouble anyways

Message 17 of 19
fungoman
Regular Contributor

Have 50K on BCP. Had to send off 4506-T at one point, but I dont remember when. Will not ask for any more.

Message 18 of 19
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow thats a high limit. My highst was almost 16k or 17k. Then when the economy went south in 08 or whenever it was, they cut me in half and then balance chased me down to 6700, not sure why as I had never had a late payment nor was my card maxed out. Needless to say, I did not want anyting business with them and pretty much only used the card after that for anything big i might otherwise not need, idid end up having to use it for a couple of car things and such, in any case, i just recenlty applied for 2 and they gave me 1k on one but I have high util from my Citi.

FYI when I called them asking why the cut, they said I was welcome to send in the things you mentioned to have them re-instate my limit. IWth one thing and another I just never followed thru. Im hoping they will me increase me once again come next year when I should have mostly everything in order.

@Anonymous wrote:
Curious what the highest limit everyone has had on an amex card? I'm thinking about sending them tax and bank statement info to see if I can get a nice increase. If I can get the total limit to around 50k that will be great but not sure how often they do limits like that so am curious

They did that to a number of their well-established, long term card holders - people that had business charge cards with them that had hard limits placed on their cards with no warning. People who had personal credit cards with them that suddently couldn't use them to buy groceries because Amex lowered their limits to the balance on the card. It was just Amex hedging their bets when the economy went South. And, of course, after the economy recovered, the people who kept their cards had to fight and claw their way back to usable limits. So, you were in some good company.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.