cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest limit possible on capital one platinum?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highest limit possible on capital one platinum?

I've had a Capital One platinum card for 12 years. The first 9-10 years, I used it once a month just to keep the account active and the credit limit grew from less than $1000 to $4000 in one or two years. Then it was stuck at $4000 until recently, as I used my other card since the limit grew much faster.

In the past 2 years, I've put much more purchases on the card to get the limit up, and I have gotten it up to $13,000 now. Recently, all of my utilities/services allow credit card bill pay, and my kid's daycare does as well, and we put most grocery purchases on this card, so we put about $1500 per month on this card. I also got it upgraded to quicksilver rewards, but it is still offically a capital one platinum card on the statement.

I'm wondering if I can still get more CLI on this card or will I hit a limit soon since platinum is one of Capital One's starter cards? What's the highest limit you have on a C.O. Platinum card without combining cards or any opening additional accounts?

I also have a Discover card with $49,000 credit limit and an old Chase platinum card with freedom rewards with a $20,000 limit. If my capital one card won't grow further, I would prefer to shift spending to my chase card and try to grow that credit limit.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Highest limit possible on capital one platinum?

I would just open a new capone card if you need more credit.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt you'll find all that many CO Platinum cards with a greater limit than your current limit is.  I'd move your spend over to Chase and try and grow that card if your goal here is card growth, because you've likely hit your ceiling on that Capital One card.

Message 3 of 10
noobody
Established Contributor

I have two Cap1 cards since 2001, with $48 annual fee each (read: bad Credit), keep the temptation to close them for years.

Then my credit improved, they waived half AF, waived whole AF, PC to no AF card, add rewards, raise CL 15X over 3 years

One of my Platinum just upgrade VS couple days ago,CL just over 10K

The other plantium has "upgrade" offer to venture one, CL close to 20K

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question, aren't the Cap1 Platinum Cards more for the lower credit scores? Seems in reading the bigger limits go with the QS and Venture. Wondering ...?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Question, aren't the Cap1 Platinum Cards more for the lower credit scores? Seems in reading the bigger limits go with the QS and Venture. Wondering ...?

Yes, the Platinum is their entry-level unsecured card that someone with a high 500's-low 600's score can get.  The problem is that when the card is obtained at a low score such as that, the account is forever viewed as a "starter" account and the limit will not grow much at all.  It doesn't matter if you bring your credit scores to 800+, they'll still keep you at your low limit if you took on the account with a low starting score.  I am a perfect example of this.

It is possible, though, for someone with great credit scores to apply for the Platinum.  Why they would go for that card over a rewards card doesn't make much sense, but I'm sure people without knowing any better have done this.  If the Platinum card is started out on favorable terms (700+ scores) it can grow just like any other Capital One product.  Again though, favoring that product when your scores are great when you could be getting rewards on your spend doesn't make much sense and probably wouldn't be a behavior sustained for long.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife has had her Platinum over 18 years has used it a bit and her FICO is over 800.  It was her only card until January.  Her limit is 13k.  Has gotten two cards since January one opened at 25k and the other at 27k.   If you want high limits get another card.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'll give it another limit request in 6 months. I'm trying to avoid new accounts for awhile. The other thing I didn't consider is asking discover for a CLI. I used to do it every 2 months with good success rate but haven't tried for the past 10 months since I read over 50k credit limits don't count towards your total credit line for fico scores. Not sure if that's really true or a rumor though.
Message 8 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP you should look closely at the CapOne Venture card. The 40,000 "bonus miles" are actually $400 of travel reimbursement for things like airfare and hotels.

If you apply for the Venture, you can use your current spend to earn that $400 bonus, which is a nice compensation for the three HP.

At your spend rate, if it remains on the Venture, even after the first year when you start to pay the AF, the 2% earnings rate is better than the QS. Otherwise, if you don't want to pay the AF after the first year, you can combine limits down to the QS and continue forward with that.

I have a CapOne which was a Platinum, was always $10k, never CLD, never CLI even though I asked several times for a CLI. Apped Venture in 2015 and got a $30k limit.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The interesting question is to what height you can get the limit on a Platinum card that's been converted to Quicksilver (no annual fee), as I did last month. I'm expecting the Credit Steps CLI next month, which will likely take me from $3000 to $3500, but I'm not sure how much higher I can get if I've been "bucketed" in the low-score category; I got the Platinum in February when my TU FICO was in the 620's at best (I don't know for sure since this was before I began tracking my FICO scores diligently). I've been considering applying for another QS if I get a preapproved offer later this year/early next year, but don't know how well combining the two would work, or if I'd have to combine them to the older card or to the newer one.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.