Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilton Aspire resort credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hilton Aspire resort credit

Any possible way to double dip this? I have a resort stay coming up around 10 days after my annual fee will post. I think with Amex u have 30 days after fee post to get the fee refunded. The stay is paid for off points but was just curious if I could possible use up the credit at the hotel before downgrading or closing the card.

its still a possibility I may renew it but I'm leaning towards getting rid of it.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Hilton Aspire resort credit

I would recommend you not do this if you don't plan on keeping the card. AMEX has been really strict lately on stuff like this and increases the possiblity of not getting any further signup bonuses from AMEX.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

I would recommend you not do this if you don't plan on keeping the card. AMEX has been really strict lately on stuff like this and increases the possiblity of not getting any further signup bonuses from AMEX.

^^Agreed.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

Thanks I won't do it. I figured they may be more strict on the credits that u get per cardmember year rather than the ones per calendar year.

Im already on the SUB blacklist anyways but I think that's because I have a high balance on my BBP.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been on a SUB blacklist too, though I don't know for exactly why. The last one I got was for the Bonvoy BIZ back in April, didn't get one on the BBP as it was mainly opened for a 0% BT. I've had a balance on it but have been aggressively paying it down, even made a couple pretty large payiments. I was approved for the Bonvoy after BBP and said Balance, and still got the 100K Bonvoy points for meeting spend with one transaction. Paid it off in three payments, and have used it sporadically ever since not going over $500. 

So it could be that my usage isn't as high after SUB that they would like to see. Yet I still get offers for other bonuses from time to time, AU's etc. I've tried twice for the Hilton and no go. I even tried to cancel the Delta Gold yesterday and got talked into just downgrading to the Blue.

Which i though seemed odd, it's the lowest CL of all my Amex cards and I rarely use it anymore. I figure'd it would have been a no brainer to close, and didn't expect them to counter. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been on a SUB blacklist too, though I don't know for exactly why. The last one I got was for the Bonvoy BIZ back in April, didn't get one on the BBP as it was mainly opened for a 0% BT. I've had a balance on it but have been aggressively paying it down, even made a couple pretty large payiments. I was approved for the Bonvoy after BBP and said Balance, and still got the 100K Bonvoy points for meeting spend with one transaction. Paid it off in three payments, and have used it sporadically ever since not going over $500. 

So it could be that my usage isn't as high after SUB that they would like to see. Yet I still get offers for other bonuses from time to time, AU's etc. I've tried twice for the Hilton and no go. I even tried to cancel the Delta Gold yesterday and got talked into just downgrading to the Blue.

Which i though seemed odd, it's the lowest CL of all my Amex cards and I rarely use it anymore. I figure'd it would have been a no brainer to close, and didn't expect them to counter. 

Yea I'm not sure the exact reason but that's just my guess. My balance for my BBP has been high for awhile now since I'm on 0%. I'm just waiting on my tax refund to pay it off.

Last SUB I got was the Green and I honestly think Amex was letting everyone get that SUB. I actually use my Green still though. I use it as my main dining card for the time being. The card before that was the Hilton Surpass which I got the pop up for awhile until I didn't. I think it was because I had put a 700$ purchase on my BBP at the time and that lifted it.

It sucks because Amex has a lot of good SUBs but the problem is most of their cards aren't everyday cards. I guess from a business standpoint I can understand denying customers the SUB for cards they probably won't use much pass the SUB.

Its frustrating because I was hoping to get it on the Delta gold or Marriott biz but don't look like that's happening anytime soon lol. I hope the pop up is lifted when I pay this BBP off.

Message 6 of 7
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

you have a bunch of cards w/ Amex. it's not worth it.

personally i'm on the fence w/ renewing this card for another year. i used basically all the perks of the card last year on our christmas holiday but i'm not sure we will do the same this year. the Hilton resorts in the states are a bit of a let down. i have a few months to decide but either case i'll downgrade it to the no AF Honors card because I still have the Surpass that will give me some of the perks I want (Hilton Gold/10 PP visits).

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.