Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilton Duo

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hilton Duo

Anyone run this set up?  Aspire + Surpass, with annual $15K spend at restaurants, grocery, gas and "other" on the Surpass to get the free weekend night...

Cost:  $545 in annual fees

Benefits:  2 free weekend nights (valued at $600), $250 Hilton resort credit, $250 airline incidental credit, top Amex travel insurance with Aspire, Diamond status perks

Earn rates (assuming 0.5 cents per point):  17% back on Hilton purchases (between Aspire and Diamond Status), 3.5% on flights, car rentals, 3% on groceries, gas, restaurants* & 1.5% everywhere else.

* Assumes restaurant spend on Surpass to hit $15K minimum, otherwise it would earn 3.5% on Aspire

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Re: Hilton Duo

Pretty solid. Can consider the Hilton Biz too, but either way, this only works if you really really like Hilton. 

[2/2019]
Message 2 of 13
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

What I like about the AMEX-Hilton tie-up is that it give you a no annual fee 2.5% grocery/gas card (Hilton AMEX), 1.5% for everything else, with a very solid SUB (not many no-AF cards give you something you can redeem for multiple hundreds of dollars), and it actually gives you a useful status (Hilton Silver lets you book 5 night awards for the cost of 4 nights).

My problem with your duo is that Hilton regularly devalues the program (so that .5 cpp won't stay that way forever) and all you're earning is Hilton points. Aspirational properties these days (like Conrads or Waldorf Astorias) are easily 80,000 to 120,000 points a night, so aside from the weekend night credits (which are nice, don't get me wrong), $15,000 of grocery spending is getting you a single night at those aspirational properties (90k)- if it's available. If you were using an AMEX Gold for that grocery spend that would give you 60k AMEX, which normally would transfer as 120k Hilton (under last month's bonus it would have been 180k), plus you can transfer to other places other than Hilton. In my opinion giving up so much potential AMEX earnings for Hilton just isn't sensible unless you really really REALLY like Hilton (I think they're fine, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the no-AF card, I just want the bigger diversity and spend returns AMEX MR can give you).

I've actually thought about a Surpass/Gold/Green "alternate AMEX Trifecta" as what I might settle on as my long term cards, as my lounge usage in the US is low enough that 10 visits on Priority Pass (Surpass) + $100 Lounge Buddy (AMEX Green) is fine for that, and Hilton Gold (Surpass) is fine for when I want to stay with Hilton (and you're earning very well), but I'm still earning a lot (3x AMEX Green) when not staying with them, and the spend bonuses are pretty broad: 4x MR groceries and dining, 3x MR flights, 3x MR general travel, 6x Hilton gas, 3x Hilton/1x AMEX everything else. I would lose Marriott status and some things from AMEX Platinum I don't actually care about (like Saks and ability to be a heavy airport lounge user)... and pay less than Platinum.

The Aspire also works in that alternate trifecta if I keep the no-AF card (and make it a quadfecta), but I have to really commit to Hilton and be willing to drop almost $1k in annual fees (and use the things I'm buying for the annual fees). I've penciled it out and it could make sense if we're all not cooped up in COVID-19 quarantine...

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 3 of 13
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

What I like about the AMEX-Hilton tie-up is that it give you a no annual fee 2.5% grocery/gas card (Hilton AMEX), 1.5% for everything else, with a very solid SUB (not many no-AF cards give you something you can redeem for multiple hundreds of dollars), and it actually gives you a useful status (Hilton Silver lets you book 5 night awards for the cost of 4 nights).

My problem with your duo is that Hilton regularly devalues the program (so that .5 cpp won't stay that way forever) and all you're earning is Hilton points. Aspirational properties these days (like Conrads or Waldorf Astorias) are easily 80,000 to 120,000 points a night, so aside from the weekend night credits (which are nice, don't get me wrong), $15,000 of grocery spending is getting you a single night at those aspirational properties (90k)- if it's available. If you were using an AMEX Gold for that grocery spend that would give you 60k AMEX, which normally would transfer as 120k Hilton (under last month's bonus it would have been 180k), plus you can transfer to other places other than Hilton. In my opinion giving up so much potential AMEX earnings for Hilton just isn't sensible unless you really really REALLY like Hilton (I think they're fine, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the no-AF card, I just want the bigger diversity AMEX MR gives you).

I've actually thought about a Surpass/Gold/Green "alternate AMEX Trifecta" as what I might settle on as my long term cards, as my lounge usage in the US is low enough that 10 visits on Priority Pass (Surpass) + $100 Lounge Buddy (AMEX Green) is fine for that, and Hilton Gold (Surpass) is fine for when I want to stay with Hilton (and you're earning very well), but I'm still earning a lot (3x AMEX Green) when not staying with them, and the spend bonuses are pretty broad: 4x MR groceries and dining, 3x MR flights, 3x MR general travel, 6x Hilton gas, 3x Hilton/1x AMEX everything else. I would lose Marriott status and some things from AMEX Platinum I don't actually care about (like Saks and ability to be a heavy airport lounge user)... and pay less than Platinum.

The Aspire also works in that alternate trifecta if I keep the no-AF card (and make it a quadfecta), but I have to really commit to Hilton and be willing to drop almost $1k in annual fees (and use the things I'm buying for the annual fees). I've penciled it out and it could make sense if we're all not cooped up in COVID-19 quarantine...

This is definitely the more reasonable and budget-friendly line-up as it doesn't overlap as much. Far more flexible also, as it's rarely safe to put all one's eggs into the same basket. 

[2/2019]
Message 4 of 13
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

I have the Aspire and the no fee Hilton.  I have contemplated upgrading the no fee to the Surpass, but I'm not going to see a huge benefit in 2x points more for groceries/gas (especially since I can get 8x points on groceries through my Gold card by converting MR to HH).    

I'm also not likely to invest $15k on a Hilton card without including actual Hilton spend (Which I put on the Aspire).  The bulk of my other spending gets better earnings on other cards.   

I don't see quite that return on my HH points either (I'm maxing at around 4cents-which is fine with me-but I'm comparing a possible just under 3% cash value for groceries on the Surpass vs say a 5% on Discover, or less than 1.5% for "all other" compared to considerably more on other cards).

But for a major Hilton enthusiast who has $15k to run through a Hilton card, or someone getting much more value from the points, then sure.  

Message 5 of 13
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@jdbkiang wrote:

This is definitely the more reasonable and budget-friendly line-up as it doesn't overlap as much. Far more flexible also, as it's rarely safe to put all one's eggs into the same basket. 

Yeah, right now it's a Green/Hilton AMEX duo that covers a lot of my bases for a $150 AF that I spent in Q1 2020 (and I'll get 45K AMEX MR/75k Hilton for that AF and spend). Which given that we're all in quarantine right now isn't terrible, since the opportunity cost for me shifting grocery or gas spend to, say, Discover Cashback while I have Cashback Match going (so 10% cash) is just Hilton points since its a no-AF card.

AMEX Gold or Hilton Surpass/Aspire is definitely not showing up until 2021 since I am still rebuilding credit (and probably it's time to hunker down and trim sails anyway since the banks are already looking at dark clouds ahead, shearing back CLs and getting nervous about defaults).

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 6 of 13
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@I_Love_Cards wrote:

... I'm ... not likely to invest $15k on a Hilton card without including actual Hilton spend ...
...  for a major Hilton enthusiast who has $15k to run through a Hilton card, or someone getting much more value from the points, then sure.  

+1

I'm not in favor of consolidating so much of my spending in any single non-cash point system whether it's Chase Ultimate Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy Rewards, American Airlines AAdvantage points, or whatever.  Points are risky to devaluation and they also limit redemption options to get the best value.   So while I earn some points with my cards, I also diversify and still like pure simple cash-back for some of my spending.  After all, how many hotel or airline points can I realistically use at one time?  

I agree that it could depend on profile so if someone were to be a really huge and loyal customer of a hotel or airline, it might make sense to build a credit profile around it.  For most of us who aren't loyalists, not so much. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 13
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Looking at the benefits you might be better trying to do a Surprass/AMEX Green duo.

Suprass

6x Hilton Purchases

3x Groceries

3x Gas

1.5x Everyday spend

10 Free priority pass visits

Free weekend at 15,000 spend

AMEX Green

3x Dine

3x Transit

3x Travel

$100 Loungebuddy credit

Ability to convert Rakuten into MR

If you did it this way you would be able to take advantage of both MR and HH points.

The Aspire credits like the $250 Hilton resort credit is limited to just a few properties. The additional resort spend on Hilton properties is only 1% more than Surprass.  There is a little bit of crossover between the AMEX Green and Surprass like around the airport lounge credit but it amounts to having about 14 total visits if combined together.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 8 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Like others I would be hesitant to tie up 15k of annual spending on a Hilton card since the points really have no other use outside of Hilton. You technically can use them on Amazon, but it's a really bad value and would defeat the purpose of the cards. If you are truly loyal to Hilton and don't see it changing, and don't mind your rewards being locked in, I think your setup sounds good.

Message 9 of 13
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

For the record: I'm probably gravitating towards a combination of AMEX products (#TeamAmex) with a DiscoverIt Cashback It and a 2% no AF card as where I land long term, because I agree with the comments that you should not put your faith long term in the princes who run loyalty programs, and cashback has a place.

@Citylights18 wrote:

Looking at the benefits you might be better trying to do a Surprass/AMEX Green duo.

Suprass

6x Hilton Purchases

3x Groceries

3x Gas

1.5x Everyday spend

10 Free priority pass visits

Free weekend at 15,000 spend

AMEX Green

3x Dine

3x Transit

3x Travel

$100 Loungebuddy credit

Ability to convert Rakuten into MR

If you did it this way you would be able to take advantage of both MR and HH points.

The Aspire credits like the $250 Hilton resort credit is limited to just a few properties. The additional resort spend on Hilton properties is only 1% more than Surprass.  There is a little bit of crossover between the AMEX Green and Surprass like around the airport lounge credit but it amounts to having about 14 total visits if combined together.

This is basically where I am, vacillating between Surpass and Aspire (plus wanting AMEX Gold for 4x grocery spend + a bonus, assuming they won't hold my 2005-2008 Gold card against me). The no-AF Hilton Amex is a stepping stone for that Surpass or Aspire decision in 2021.

Basically a Gold+Green+Hilton AMEX trifecta is getting some of what you get on a Platinum card (a good Hilton status, some lounge access, flight credits), but saving a ton on the fees for things I don't actually want to pay for that badly (extra 1x on flights and Centurion Lounge/SkyClub access, FHR, Marriott Gold) but having a much broader base for point accumulation. I don't think I want to put 15k of spend on a Hilton AMEX card ever, though, even with a (capacity restricted) free weekend night- too much of it would be unbonused spend that has a cashback value of 2 cents per dollar anyway.

I can make the Aspire's resort benefits pencil out at specific properties where I know I would stay (have stayed in the past, actually) + the airline credits (I fly enough Southwest on low cost tickets that I can make $100 Gold + $250 Aspire turn into $350 of flights). Essentially I'd get a weekend free at a resort plus airfare every year (things I would spend money on anyway), but have Hilton Diamond while staying there, plus ongoing point accumulation (I'd probably keep the no-AF Hilton Amex and chuck some gas purchases/etc. on it occasionally).

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.