Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilton Honors CC

tag
blk8
Regular Contributor

Hilton Honors CC

Which HH card is the easiest to get ... between the CITI and AMEX version?

If you have recently got approved, please let me know some details on your approval. Thanks!

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Hilton Honors CC

They are not different versions. They are completely different cards, issued by different creditors. Robot wink

So it comes down to Citi vs American Express. Do you already have a relationship with either? Have you applied for their products before? What does your credit profile look like? Do you know your FICO scores?

I was approved for the Hilton Amex about 2 months ago. It was my second card with Amex, so it was an easy process.  Cat Tongue

Message 2 of 25
CopperHD
New Contributor

This is pry a YMMV situation but i would guess that the Citi is easier due to the fact that Amex Revolvers are traditionally more difficult to obtain without a previous relationship with them.  I have the Amex HH Surpass card but i also had a previous relationship with them through my NPSL Zync and only got a 1k limit with them, while Citi gave me a 10,900 limit on the Simplicity card.

Current Scores EQ (697) Tu (740) EX (705) Amex pull
Current Cards- Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex Zync (NPSL), Amex Hilton Honors Surpass ($3000), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($12,000), Citi Simplicity ($10,900), Southwest Visa Signature ($10,500), Discover It ($4250), FNBO Amex ($4,000), First National Credit Card ($2000), Capital One Platinum ($2500 and $1750), Lowes ($6000) , Walmart Discover ($6000).
Message 3 of 25
HiLine
Blogger

@CopperHD wrote:

This is pry a YMMV situation but i would guess that the Citi is easier due to the fact that Amex Revolvers are traditionally more difficult to obtain without a previous relationship with them.  I have the Amex HH Surpass card but i also had a previous relationship with them through my NPSL Zync and only got a 1k limit with them, while Citi gave me a 10,900 limit on the Simplicity card.

I got my Amex Gold Skymiles with 10 months of credit history. My cousin got an Amex SPG with 8 months of credit history before even graduating from college. I am convinced that Amex favors credit builders. Without knowing the OP's credit situation though, it's really YMMV like you said.

Message 4 of 25
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Citi really does not like negatives. So if your file has any negatives, Amex will be easier. Neither has a great recon process. Both are more likely to approve someone with an existing relationship. I think the citi is a better card (reserve vs surpass), so if you don't have any negatives, I would apply for that one first. If rejected, give Amex a whirl.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 5 of 25
distantarray
Established Contributor

Amex will either love you or hate you, but it all depends regardless Hilton points are pretty damn close to worthless imo. Just get a Starwood card. Only reason why I'm entertaining the offer is because of backdating alone.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 6 of 25
HiLine
Blogger

50k Hilton points is pretty good for a card with no annual fees IMO.

Message 7 of 25
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I don't know if all Citi HHonors cards are Signatures but mine is, I don't imagine either would have been more or less difficult to get.  Can anyone answer if the Citi card is offered in a regular Visa?

Message 8 of 25
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I got the Amex hilton surpass card a couple of weeks ago. Exp FICO in letter was 693, 7k limit, already had Amex green for 11 mos.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 9 of 25
TheDjinn
New Contributor

I got the Amex HHonors and Citi HHonors Reserve Siggy card at the same time. I had relationships with both of them for over a year prior to applying for both these cards. I use the Amex HHonors to pay my monthly phone, cable, insurance, and fitness bills and Costco purchases so that I can take advantage of the 6 point/dollar on some of those categories. I use the Citi HHonors Reserve card for all other purchases. Getting 2 free weekend nights from Citi and 40K bonus points from Amex isn't so shabby either. My points are racking up fast!

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.