cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmm, what is this 'restaurant certificate' AmEx has sent me?

tag
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Re: Hmm, what is this 'restaurant certificate' AmEx has sent me?

Naaah! Don't worry about your credit. They just want you to subscribe to whatever magazine they are offering to you. The cost is usually higher than ordering through sites like magazines.com or others similar to it. I ordered eight magazine subscriptions using a gift card, so they never got my actual CC number. I'm up for renewal on a few of them and the price has gone up about $20-$30 more than when I first subscribed. See, that's where they get you. If you provide your CC number, they will charge you the "then going rate" for the subscription.

I love to send them back the letter in the mail with a note saying, "I paid $14.95 for this magazine when I first subscribed. What in the sam dickens makes you think I want to pay $34.95 for it now?" After about 3-4 letters trying to convince me I am a valued customer, I usually get my original offer. Then, I re-subscribe.

I'm a stinker, aren't I?! Smiley Very Happy
Message 11 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

no, but yer funny Smiley Very Happy  of all the things to overpay for, magazines?  i think not!

Message Edited by score_building on 09-18-2008 07:42 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uniqua wrote:
I love to send them back the letter in the mail with a note saying, "I paid $14.95 for this magazine when I first subscribed. What in the sam dickens makes you think I want to pay $34.95 for it now?" After about 3-4 letters trying to convince me I am a valued customer, I usually get my original offer. Then, I re-subscribe.

Heh. That's what I do with my newspaper. I usually let my subscription lapse until they come up with an offer that's acceptable.
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I actually took them up on the planner offers (one 'classic' one, one Blue one), 'cos the planners looked nice. Even though I may or may not pay for them next year.

The large planner is EXCELLENT! Very high quality, and I use it to keep track of EVERYTHING. Plus I write a blurb about the day. You won't be disappointed. JMHO
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a free lunch...as long as you don't eat it.
Message 15 of 17
Uniqua
Established Contributor

It's been almost two months and I haven't gotten any kind of offers from AmEx. Quite unusual. I usually get one a week. Don't tell me that during this credit crunch, not only are they slashing CLs like Freddie Kruger's finger nails, but they are also slashing the offers for discount magazine subscriptions and free restaurant dining certificates? Now that's just pah-thetic, AmEx. I really enjoyed getting a chuckle off of some of those offers!
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uniqua wrote:
It's been almost two months and I haven't gotten any kind of offers from AmEx. Quite unusual. I usually get one a week. Don't tell me that during this credit crunch, not only are they slashing CLs like Freddie Kruger's finger nails, but they are also slashing the offers for discount magazine subscriptions and free restaurant dining certificates? Now that's just pah-thetic, AmEx. I really enjoyed getting a chuckle off of some of those offers!
I got one the other week that was for some sort of prize draw/sweepstakes thing that was more like the kind of junk mail you'd get from Reader's Digest. That one went straight in the trash.
I did get one set of planners (the Classic ones) a couple of weeks ago - turns out the order for the Blue ones was messed up so I have to re-order them. The Classic ones are pretty nice, though. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.