Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hold'em or Fold'em?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hold'em or Fold'em?

Started acting on some of the great advise i got here. What would you do, if you had a two year old 1st premier & total visa card. Super sub prime, but have apparently served thier purpose in scoring & new credit. All kinds of fees, even charge ME to pay THEM! Some say keep aged tls. even with the cost. others say, kick em out. Would credit be a long time in recovering? Low limits, 300 & 475, i feel they are now a hinderance. Will, utilize my target via 1000, & hooters 500 in stead. What, in good thoughtfull judgement would YOU do?? I will post fico scores on any later posts, as i want to sign up for a new program, as i know that is a guide to base decisions on also.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hold'em or Fold'em?

Flatbroke_Again wrote:
 i want to sign up for a new program, as i know that is a guide to base decisions on also.

What kind of program? Maybe it could help me also!
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

cccats, suzie orman fico kit. Also a credit report monitor program. There are these offered here, and many others. This sure does take TIME & EFFORT. But our rewards will come later. Good luck for you!
Message 3 of 16
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Generally you shouldn't close accounts, but if they have lots of fees that's a good reason to dump it. But do you have any other cards that don't have fees up the wazoo?
Message 4 of 16
cobra19
Valued Contributor

I am assuming your credit history is relatively young ( < 5 years). If this is the case, closing a 2 year old account will not hurt.

I would close FP ASAP. You really shouldn't pay such fees. I understand you probably needed a FP to get approved by Hooters, since they like to see some open TL's.  You don't need them (FP) anymore. They certainly will not grow with you.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flatbroke_Again wrote:
Started acting on some of the great advise i got here. What would you do, if you had a two year old 1st premier & total visa card. Super sub prime, but have apparently served thier purpose in scoring & new credit. All kinds of fees, even charge ME to pay THEM! Some say keep aged tls. even with the cost. others say, kick em out. Would credit be a long time in recovering? Low limits, 300 & 475, i feel they are now a hinderance. Will, utilize my target via 1000, & hooters 500 in stead. What, in good thoughtfull judgement would YOU do?? I will post fico scores on any later posts, as i want to sign up for a new program, as i know that is a guide to base decisions on also.

Have you tryed to get them to reduce or completly get rid of the fee! Maybe you could nicely threaten to cancel because of fees and see what they say, if they dont budge as posted on another thread tell them you have never cancelled a card before let you think about it and no harm done & no hard feelins from them! I Let me know if this works!
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

They served their purpose, its time to close em.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

KingAdrock, I have Only Hooters & Target Visa. Very low fee on hooters, None on Target. I got a godzillion store cards, walmart,firestone,lowes,macy's,spiegel & chevron. I am working on a good prime card in TIME. I honestly dont know what or how i should handle 1st premier & total. I want to do it in a proper, beneficial way, but am lost & have a LOT to learn. Im in the right place!!!
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

fender, copy that! I will cancel both FP  & Total visa cards. Yes, I am VERY greatfull to the subprime cards. Cost me arms and legs, but  I think it enabled a step up the ladder. I unloaded a 300 cap1 & 300cl. hsbc card on advise from here, seems they too hardly go anywhere with you. I appreciate EVERYONES advice and guideance. i think i am starting to "get" it somewhat. I just did not want to cause any further damage to my credit building. That's 4 Lousy cards gone, think i need a new broom HEE!
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

ccats704, FP & Total Visa, will not lower there fees. Thats how they get most all their money, from the poor folk like me! Also the cli, is very paultry. Took me two years to get to 475 cl. But since i had them awhile, i thought it was bad for my credit to dump them. From, all the quick answers and help already, those cards need to die!
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.