Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday spending --- how do you manage?

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Holiday spending --- how do you manage?

Just curious how much CC debt people might run up this time of year, and how long it takes to get back to normal range?  I spent more than I had planned, but I can still follow through on my plan to make many times the mimimum payments on my cards.  My util has run up to 70% (not all from the holidays of course, we had two other unforseen major expenses, plus some balances that still existed) and I plan to bring it down no later than April.  Since I'm not gearing for any new credit for some time, I'm more just curious than anything else how other people handle this, and if the stress of it ever makes you frantic for even a minute!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: Holiday spending --- how do you manage?

It used to make me frantic, and it took me 3 to 4 months to pay off my Christmas spending.  This year I actually planned for it.  I save a little each month, and I am happy to say that I will not have holiday debt this year.  First time that I can remember!

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Planning ahead, make a budget for holiday gift giving and stick to it.  

Message 3 of 21
Boragard
Established Contributor

For holiday shopping I pay CASH ONLY!  If I don't have enough cash I will not buy it, simple.  That way no Cc debt come January!!

Message 4 of 21
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

For me, as for paying cash only, I use cc's only. 

I just use them as I always use them......to get my cash back, miles, points and pif before the statement cuts. 

I'll have just short of 60K available credit report probably 1-2 % for scoring reasons on one card.  I'm watching my utl as I have a Amex 3x coming up in Jan.

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 5 of 21
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I personally keep a budget and PIF like I always do.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 6 of 21
compassion101
Established Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:

+1 me

Message 7 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

Planning ahead, make a budget for holiday gift giving and stick to it.  

+1000

And, self-discipline - knowing how to stay on track.

Message 8 of 21
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@compassion101 wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

+1 me

+2  I use my CCs to earn the points, then PIF - it's like using cash with benefits.

Message 9 of 21
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Makes sense. I had a plan too, though I didn't think paying down in a few months would be so bad. I still don't really...

That said, PIF will be the plan next year
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.