cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot card thru Citibank....how soon is too soon to ask for CLI?

tag
bass_playr
Established Contributor

Home Depot card thru Citibank....how soon is too soon to ask for CLI?

Just got this card a couple days ago.  Used it to make a single purchase, and will be paying down a chunk of that purchase today.  Is it too soon to ask for CLI?  The card came with a $500 CL.  I'm not looking to go crazy, but would like to ask for $1K or $1500 CLI.  Anyone have experience with this?  I know the Lowe's card used to be good for this sort of thing right away, but since every bank is different and Synchrony is basically freaking out right now, I went this route.  I have never had a Citi card before, so unsure.  Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Re: Home Depot card thru Citibank....how soon is too soon to ask for CLI?

I only have a Citi DC. You can call them and try to request a larger CL. I recommend doing a search on these boards to learn DPs for this specific card.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 2 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@bass_playr wrote:

Just got this card a couple days ago.  Used it to make a single purchase, and will be paying down a chunk of that purchase today.  Is it too soon to ask for CLI?  The card came with a $500 CL.  I'm not looking to go crazy, but would like to ask for $1K or $1500 CLI.  Anyone have experience with this?  I know the Lowe's card used to be good for this sort of thing right away, but since every bank is different and Synchrony is basically freaking out right now, I went this route.  I have never had a Citi card before, so unsure.  Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance!

@bass_playr, Congratulations!

I believe it is 6 months, I may stand corrected on this?

Expect a HP for it ...

Message 3 of 13
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

Too soon to tell, give it some time. Good luck!!!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Granted this was back in 17 when i opened the Diamond Preferred, so who know what has changed if anything. Got a $1,600 SL and I used the card several times during a 60 day period, then requested a CLI  because I mistakenly used Amex's 61 day rule. lol

They granted me one, so there are instances where it can happen. In general though Card issuers want to test the waters with you for 6 months, hence why so many have the 6 month rule. However, that wasn't on a cobranded card like the Home Depot card, so i don't know if it's the same type of UW. 

I've read spartan reports of Recons, but based on your $500 SL it might be wise to wait. Most DP's I've seen were on higher SL, which were likely based stronger profiles. Given time and use they might seem more open to handing out addtional credit, but right now you're still a bit too new. if you're able to do so spend 75% monthly and PIF, then 60 days later you can ask and if denied you've only pushed it out another two months. 

Message 5 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Citi's bank cards and CBNA retail cards are completely different.  I would certainly advise waiting until the card has been opened for at least 6 months, after using it and making payments.  I didn't have great luck with the card myself.  I was given a $1000 starting line in 2011, used it all the time, making large purchases and paying them off.  I took 4 or 5 HPs the last 2 years that I had the card, and I was still being denied for a CLI increase on it even with decades of flawless credit history, good scores (730s-760s at the time), and a fairly high income. 

In late 2016, I finally gave up, closed my $1,000 Home Depot card, and within minutes had a $17,000 Lowe's card which soon grew to $25k and then $35k.  I also opened an actual Citi credit card a few days after my last CLI denial on the Home Depot card and was approved for many times that card's limit, and today that card has a credit line over $20k without ever taking another HP.  Like I said, Citi bank cards and CBNA store cards are completely different.

There certainly are examples of others who have had better luck with the Home Depot card, of course, but if you were approved for $500 I would not count on that growing in the near future.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've considerd the Home Depot a fewtimes, but the DP's of getting small SL put sme off. I mean what use is a "Home Improvement" card if it can't even handle the load? Oh hey I can buy the sink and a toilet one month, then slowly buy everthing else every month after. lol

What happens if i need to buy a fridge though? Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 13
Openwater
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've considerd the Home Depot a fewtimes, but the DP's of getting small SL put sme off. I mean what use is a "Home Improvement" card if it can't even handle the load? Oh hey I can buy the sink and a toilet one month, then slowly buy everthing else every month after. lol

What happens if i need to buy a fridge though? Smiley Indifferent

LOL, well played!

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 8 of 13
Openwater
Established Contributor

@bass_playr wrote:

Can't speak from experience, but the SL and limited CL have made me not want to invest into the Home Depot card. Was looking into the Lowes card since it had better incentives. Unfortunately comparing HD to Lowes, it seems HD typically has the better prices...

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Openwater wrote:

@bass_playr wrote:

Can't speak from experience, but the SL and limited CL have made me not want to invest into the Home Depot card. Was looking into the Lowes card since it had better incentives. Unfortunately comparing HD to Lowes, it seems HD typically has the better prices...

And seems more Lowes cards being closed that HDSmiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.