cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot, no interest, no payments for 6 months?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Home Depot, no interest, no payments for 6 months?

I just saw this when I was checking my card online, they are still advertising no interest and no payments for 6 months on purchases over $299. I thought the new credit card reform changed it so they couldn't do this anymore, anyone know anything about this?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Woolfman
Established Contributor

Re: Home Depot, no interest, no payments for 6 months?

I dont believe the reform has gone into effect yet .
Message 2 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Considering the fact that there is a provision for the application of payments to such accounts included in the Credit CARD Act of 2009:

(b) Application of Payments-

‘(1) IN GENERAL- Upon receipt of a payment from a cardholder, the card issuer shall apply amounts in excess of the minimum payment amount first to the card balance bearing the highest rate of interest, and then to each successive balance bearing the next highest rate of interest, until the payment is exhausted.

‘(2) CLARIFICATION RELATING TO CERTAIN DEFERRED INTEREST ARRANGEMENTS- A creditor shall allocate the entire amount paid by the consumer in excess of the minimum payment amount to a balance on which interest is deferred during the last 2 billing cycles immediately preceding the expiration of the period during which interest is deferred.

I also don't see any other provision that would rule out such account arrangements.

Message 3 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I just got 12 months no interest last week
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't aware that promotional offers were being outlawed.  What is it you thought was not going to be allowed?  My only understanding is that certain fees will be prohibited, increased rates on existing balances in certain circumstances, etc. 

Message 5 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Someone else reported in this forum a while ago that they were told this by an issuer. I didn't believe it then and I do not believe it now. If it were true then why would the Credit CARD Act of 2009 include a provision then insures that your payment be properly applied to the deferred account if you have mixed APR balances?
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree.  How would this be "consumer" minded or friendly to disallow promotional and interest free periods.  I for one wouldn't like that.

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree.  How would this be "consumer" minded or friendly to disallow promotional and interest free periods.  I for one wouldn't like that.

Smiley Happy

Or, futhermore, to compel the issuer to apply your payment in such a way that it might be impossible for you to pay off the deferred finance balance and avoid the finance charge due to the payment being diverted to a higher APR balance.

Message 8 of 12
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

I got a letter from home depot they will still have the no interest but you will have to make a minimum payment with the promotional because of the new law. Kays Jeweler is that way too they have no interest set up but you still have a minimum payment you have to make..
Message Edited by elaine829 on 01-24-2010 06:20 PM
Message 9 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

That's as it should be and I think it's pretty fair.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.