Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot vs Lowes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Home Depot vs Lowes

Another thing that’s irritating about the Home Depot card - last Thursday I paid off the card. I had a $312 balance on it. I had carried a balance for a couple months and wasn’t worried about it since the interest is minimal on such a small amount (payments of course were always made). The next day, it showed my total owed as $0, but the $312 I paid off had not yet been released. Only being a $500 card, it showed my available balance as $188. By Sunday it was still like that so I messaged them asking when it would reflect a full $500 available balance. They said it was undergoing verification and would release when that was done.

Really? It’s a $300 payment, not a $10,000 payment.

Today marks a week since it was paid. Guess what? CL still not released. Still showing $188 of $500 available, with a card balance owed of $0.

Thanks Citi - another reason why I’m happy to shift all my home spend to your competitor 🙄 From here on out, your card’s role is a bag of mulch in the spring and a package of paper towels or a paintbrush in the fall. It’ll stay open because it dates back to 2006 but I won’t spend more than $10-15 on it a year. There’s no point. And I don’t need it freed up for use, but I guess it’s my need to have my accounts all reconciled properly. That one is driving me nuts.
Message 11 of 22
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

I'm starting to understand my lack of CLI's on my HD card.   I started at 500 and have gotten to a meager 1000.   It makes the card hard to use.

And the 5 % off at lowes when using their card?    

This has me thinking....

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 22
GApeachy
Super Contributor

I have both cards.  Lowe's 4k  and Home Depot 5k.  Lowe's offers 5% off and extra financing but their prices are higher than Home Depot for the exact same products I have been looking at. (Storage Armoire for example)   Anyhow, at Home Depot you do get special financing, I get tickets in the mail all the time for purchases over $299 and up for an extra 6 months, also offered online on my acct.

Lowe's is easier to grow, no hard pulls.  Home Depot not so much and they slam you with a hp sometimes...not always but 1 cli = 0 hp and 1 cli = 2 hp's.  

It just depends....

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 13 of 22
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I like Lowes because they were easy to get a CLI(500-10k in one call) from and it was nice to buy a dryer, garden stuff and get 5% back. I never used the finance option but they have specials.

Home Depot in my area are dirty and DW card is stuck at 1K 8 years later and her Fico is almost 800. She refuses to do a HP for a CLI. And they hold payments for almost 5days.
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

I have both cards.  Lowe's 4k  and Home Depot 5k.  Lowe's offers 5% off and extra financing but their prices are higher than Home Depot for the exact same products I have been looking at. (Storage Armoire for example)   Anyhow, at Home Depot you do get special financing, I get tickets in the mail all the time for purchases over $299 and up for an extra 6 months, also offered online on my acct.

Lowe's is easier to grow, no hard pulls.  Home Depot not so much and they slam you with a hp sometimes...not always but 1 cli = 0 hp and 1 cli = 2 hp's.  

It just depends....

I shop at both stores and really don't have an opinion on which is better, but I only have an HD card.   I have gotten a few auto CLI's on this card over the years and I am up to $ 10,300 CL, doesn't always involve HP, but I have never requested a CLI.

Message 15 of 22
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Lowes will price match local competitors.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, it's only April and you already need AC? My heat has only been off for about two weeks or so. I live in a Townehouse as well, and need a seperate heater for downstairs. lol

If you're looking for just a window AC unit, they run about $200-400. So you likely could just put it on an existing card, not open a new one for one small purchase. However, if you're looking at getting one of those portable units. It will cost more, somehwere around $600.

Still doable on an existing card I think?

Message 17 of 22
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Lowe's for the WIN!  Jk!  It just depends on who you prefer to have in your arsenal in regards to lenders.  Lowe's does have the 5% back at the register and they do have more frequent (and usually lower threshold) for special financing.  I personally would go with Lowe's...but honestly they'll both probably get the job done.   Like others have mentioned, Lowe's is usually a SP for CLI and in my experience, HD isn't.  Although if you have a decent score you can usually get a pretty sizeable amount on HD but again you'll have to give up an HP to get it. 

Message 18 of 22
NichelleN
Established Contributor

I have both. HD is at $8K. Lowe's is at $17K. Besides the hard pull to raise the CL, I have been treated well by citi. Example - I took advantage of one of the 0% / deferred interest promos. It was to be paid off by a date in feb to avoid any interest charges. I unexpectedly lost my brother at the end of January. I was out of state dealing with the loss and handling his estate. Upon returning home there was a giant HD bill that had the interest added. I sent them an email, explained the situation and they removed all of the interest. I didn't have it paid off by the due date so they certainly could have denied the request. I'll remember that they honored it.

More than enough credit.
Message 19 of 22
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

Not sure if this is something you can get, but the Chase Freedom card which takes kinda good credit to get is offering 5% rewards on home improvement purchases for this calendar period cycle so you can use it at either home depot or lowes

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.