cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hooter's Card Closures - You are NOT going to believe this one!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hooter's Card Closures - You are NOT going to believe this one!

So last week I received a letter from Hooters stating that they were closing my account due to "too many new accounts" so I called them and they asked me to send them my credit report so I did.  (explained that I had not opened any new accounts since I opened my account with them.

Long story short, after the CRS revviewd my credit report, she told me that Hooters instituted a new policy that if you have opened 6 or more new accounts within the last six months they were automatically closing those account without review!  So my comment to her was "You are telling me that even though I have excellent, never missed a payment and am responsible managing my accounts, you closed my account?  I am confused by your scoring model, I would think that you would pull a report on your card holders who in the last six months have been late paying their accounts!!"

And then she dropped this jewel:  "Obama says we have to responsible with our credit...I said did you just say OBAMA!!!  What does he have to do with this???  (LMBO!!)  While I understood what she was trying to say, it just did not come out right! 

So I told her good luck in loosing your account holders that pay thier bills on time!

BTW, she told me this requesst came from HOOTERS and not Merrick bank! 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Hooter's Card Closures - You are NOT going to believe this one!

Oh yes, I do believe this.  It is pre-emptive action, figuring that people are going to get unemployed.

Not nice, but I believe it

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just don't understand their logic...I even asked her were they reconsidering on a case by cases basis and she told me flat out NO!  Once they close your account that's it!  My issue with this is that I am responsible with my credit, I only carry a very small on 2 cards (based on FICO scoring model).  She even said to me that I have excellent credit!

Seems to me they would want to target the people who are having problems managing their debt!

If they would have ran thier report in October vs September, I would have not made the report!  LOL

Message 3 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It's always simpler to blame some outside force for stupid corporate policy than to take credit/ responsibility for the decision.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pardon me Hauling, but I will not take responsiblity for a policy that was enacted 5 months AFTER I opened my account.  After reading a lot of the threads on this forum about opening multiple accounts at once vs not, I felt the more complelling arguement was to open a lot at once, take the temporary hit on my scores and recover since I am new to credit and have no plans to make any big purchases in the near future. I have not opened nor applied for any new credit since I opnend my accounts in April.  I have been extremely responsible in managing my credit, so I was offened by your repsponse. 

My apolgies if you comment was somehow lost in translation, but I re-read your post several times before responding.

Please be friendly, supportive and respectful --and leave your high horse at the door!

Message 5 of 12
xkaosx
Regular Contributor

same thing just happened to me

youre not alone

Message 6 of 12
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Pardon me Hauling, but I will not take responsiblity for a policy that was enacted 5 months AFTER I opened my account.  After reading a lot of the threads on this forum about opening multiple accounts at once vs not, I felt the more complelling arguement was to open a lot at once, take the temporary hit on my scores and recover since I am new to credit and have no plans to make any big purchases in the near future. I have not opened nor applied for any new credit since I opnend my accounts in April.  I have been extremely responsible in managing my credit, so I was offened by your repsponse. 

My apolgies if you comment was somehow lost in translation, but I re-read your post several times before responding.

Please be friendly, supportive and respectful --and leave your high horse at the door!

I know your post wasn't directed at me but I'm pretty sure Hauling was referring to the creditor and not you at all.  Smiley Happy They're (the credit card company) using an outside force (Obama) as a scapegoat for their "stupid corporate policy" instead of just admitting it's their stupid corporate policy.  The rest is her signature automatically inserted at the bottom of every post she writes.

Message Edited by clocktick on 11-03-2009 06:56 AM
11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 12
doood71
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think Hauling was referring to the fact that the CSR is blaming Obama for their credit decisions rather than taking responsibility for internal corporate decisions.  

2/15/2011 TU: 773 ~ EQ: 780
8/15/2011 TU: 766 ~ EQ: 783 ~ EX: 753 (psecu)
Message 8 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

CMS2012 wrote:

Yep, I was referring to the lender and the CSR who were pretending that they were closing your card on a presidential directive.

Sorry it wasn't clear.

eta: this sounded a bit terse, and I didn't mean it to be. (I was trying to keep my cat out of my jambalaya, dang it.) Anyway, this is another good example of the perils of communicating without the benefit of facial expressions, tone of voice, and so forth. It didn't dawn on me that this could be so easily misinterpreted!
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 11-03-2009 04:21 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 12
thedaveytrain
Valued Member

It's like when I asked the CSR at Chase if they cared about losing accounts and she said "no, they don't" it's like the reform bill has given them the right to be a-holes to their customers all of the sudden. You'd think they'd be grasping every cent they could right now, but then again, the gov't will bail them out if they fail, so they must feel pretty secure!
01/25/10 - TU 709, EQ 729, EX 705
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.