Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hope I didn't goof up with Discover

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Hope I didn't goof up with Discover

About a year ago or so Discover called my office. I thought that maybe they were going to offer some sort of credit protection or worse, tell me someone else tried to use my CC. However, none were the case and the rep on the phone said that they are encouraging their cardholders to get on their automatic payment program. I always paid on time via their wbsite, but actually considered the automatic payments for some or all of my CCs. The rep then said that they'll cut the APR by 1%. I didn't care about the rate reduction but was intereted in the auto-drafts and I said "Yes".

Fast forward a year later. I received this e-mail:

Dear Mr. llecs:

Congratulations on successfully completing the special payment program for your Discover Card Account.

Your Account has now returned to the regular terms of your Cardmember Agreement.

We hope you continue the progress you have made. If you have already made arrangements for your next payment, thank you. If not, then please send your payments on time when you receive your regular monthly statements.

We were pleased to help during times of financial difficulty. Please call toll free, 1-800-347-0423 if you have questions.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxx
DFS Services LLC

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained may be used for that purpose.

This e-mail was sent to xxxxxx  for account number ending with xxxx.

You are receiving this e-mail because you are a Discover Cardmember.

Please do not reply to this e-mail as we are not able to respond to messages sent to this address. ......

They are making it sound like I was on some sort of hardship or modification program. The portion about debt collection is really ominous Smiley Surprised.

Anyone else ever get anything like this? Is it worth a phone call? BTW, I PIF at least 4x per year, as I do with most of my CCs, and never was late.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Hope I didn't goof up with Discover

Discover is sub-prime, dump them and move on.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 24
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Sounds like they just sent you the wrong form letter, llecs.  It happens.

You keep on top of your CCs and your reports.  This has got to be a glitch at their end, but it's worth a call for your own peace of mind.

Message 3 of 24
BP2003
Regular Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

I'm starting to agree with this thought. 

I have the following CLs:

Barclay for $10,500

2 AMEXs for $8500 & $8500

3 BoAs for $7,500, $5,000 & $5000

CITI of $7000

...but my Discover....$1000 CL....so lame.  I'm sitting at about a 22% UTIL...and Discover won't budge (without a hard pull that is)

***From ashy to classy***
Message 4 of 24
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

I strongly disagree, and I'll leave it at that.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I prefer the word 'conservative' as they dont seem to be the easiest card to get and ive always had get experience with customer service.

Message 6 of 24
smc733
Valued Contributor

Cash access checks, this crap (this thread), pushing me to do a BT, cash advance, the "cash over" feature, et cetera...

Going to dump them myself shortly.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 7 of 24
Alcibiades
Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

Don't know if I can agree with this, I just signed up with them, they gave me a $4000 limit recently (I have $6,500 and $4,050 as my other biggest limits) and do offer decent cash back. On the other hand I can't get HSBC to raise my $300 limit on the subprime card I got a year ago (which is why I dumped it last week).

Message 8 of 24
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Discover is a odd duck they gave my mother 1750 cl when chase around the same time gave her a 20k cl. Whats up with that? 

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 24
smc733
Valued Contributor

@crosbyk1 wrote:

Discover is a odd duck they gave my mother 1750 cl when chase around the same time gave her a 20k cl. Whats up with that? 

Because they're garbage.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.