Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hoping to do this today

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Hoping to do this today

I would check pre-qual offers on each banks site and pick 2 or 3 max....

capitalone

chase

citi

discover

be sure you are getting a Congrats or a we found.... type language... don't get confused when you see cards but the wording is we think you will like or we didn't find offer but.... don't apply if you are not getting a real offer with wording like I stated first.

Message 11 of 18
geemister

I won't prequal because I put a FA on my account so ogre-man wouldn't be able to run my reports.

I don't really NEED any special perks - just a better credit score - of course, perks are always nice Smiley Wink .  I was thinking that I'd try Cap1 - I think quicksilver is their entry level/fair credit option and then maybe TJMaxx/Marshalls/HomeGoods because I shop there a TON and they give discounts and rewards, but I have no idea who backs them so will have to research first.  I also don't NEED any cc's but I do need good credit to be able to get mortgages and car loans in the future...possibly very near future.

I am confused though - the HPs hit instantly but does your credit score change instantly too?  I thought each HP lowered your score a little bit.

Message 12 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Then that's what I would apply for.

TJMaxx first online

then Capital One Quicksilver one.

Message 13 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 14 of 18
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Then that's what I would apply for.

TJMaxx first online

then Capital One Quicksilver one.

I agree with this too.  TJMaxx is GE, which will grow with you (typically you can get an increase every 4 months) and CapOne can grow with you too (especially if you go through the executive office).  After these two cards, you need to garden for a while.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 15 of 18
geemister

I agree with this too.  TJMaxx is GE, which will grow with you (typically you can get an increase every 4 months) and CapOne can grow with you too (especially if you go through the executive office).  After these two cards, you need to garden for a while.

What is the "executive office"?  I don't have a problem never applying for credit again - until I need to - may not have a choice on the mortgage front.

Message 16 of 18
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

What is the "executive office"?  I don't have a problem never applying for credit again - until I need to - may not have a choice on the mortgage front.

Capital One cards are fairly easy to get as they have some cards where less than excellent credit can apply.  They are known for being difficult with giving credit limit increases.  Every 6 months you are eligible for an increase but if you try by calling them or by going on their website, you may no get one or you may get a very small increase and the request could end up being a hard pull.  If you go through the executive office (you can do a Google search for Capital One Executive Office Email), you have a much greater chance of getting a much higher increase for a soft pull.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 17 of 18
geemister

Capital One cards are fairly easy to get as they have some cards where less than excellent credit can apply.  They are known for being difficult with giving credit limit increases.  Every 6 months you are eligible for an increase but if you try by calling them or by going on their website, you may no get one or you may get a very small increase and the request could end up being a hard pull.  If you go through the executive office (you can do a Google search for Capital One Executive Office Email), you have a much greater chance of getting a much higher increase for a soft pull.

Gotcha and thanks!  I was hoping that it might work for general applications as well Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.