cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horror with cap1! Account is pernamently restricted! Help!!

tag
orestrus
Frequent Contributor

Horror with cap1! Account is pernamently restricted! Help!!

Ok, i have 2 accounts with capital 1. a few days ago they placed a restriction on my account for "suspected fraud". I didnt make any large purchases, no cash advances.. nothing. I ve used my cards for 3 months, and simply applied for them to build my credit in USA. Both with low limits subprime cards. Anyway, i complied with their request , and sent all my documents. Day later i receive a call from fraud department and they inform me that they suspect altered id and refuse to deal with me any further. I offered to mail my id to them, provide copy of my passport, drivers license- no luck. They simply said "nothing can be done". I am simply speechless and shocked!! I did pay the remaining balance, and they adviced me that account will stay open with pernament restriction notation. I have a feeling they re ruining my credit, what are the consequences am i going to face with other creditors, CRA's and so on?? All my cards are in good standing, never had to take this crap from BofA or US bank. What should i do, close my second account with them and move on? The only thing thats stopping me is that my history is only 3 months old, and i want to keep at least 3 cards to boost my fico score. Any suggestions?
BofA 5k, Cap 1 Journey 300, Cap 1 QS1 300, Walmart 6k,
Amex BCE 2000, Amex PRG, Amex Delta Gold 2k, Macy's 5k, Bloomies 6k, Amazon 6k, JCP 5k Macy's Amex 1.5k,
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Horror with cap1! Account is pernamently restricted! Help!!

Close everything by them and move on. Obviously they do not want your business. You should not have to beg them for courtesy.
Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card is it?  If it's an AF card, I'd be pretty furious.  If it's a no AF card, I'd just let it permanently stay open and get a better card from someone.  I had a difficult time with Cap One fraud department as well (I was new to apps, wanted to log into my account before my card came in).  At this point, the card is in my SD.  Unless it's a Venture card, or an AF card, enjoy not having to maintain a SD card and get something better.  

Message 3 of 33
orestrus
Frequent Contributor

Its a platinum card with AF! I guess im screwed both ways. I dont want their business either, but is more concerned that they might report some negative info on my report. What i should do??
Amex BCE 2000, Amex PRG, Amex Delta Gold 2k, Macy's 5k, Bloomies 6k, Amazon 6k, JCP 5k Macy's Amex 1.5k,
Message 4 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm so sorry to hear that. What are you still able to do with an account in permanently restricted status?

Message 5 of 33
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Are you not a US citizen or residing here?

Message 6 of 33
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

@orestrus wrote:
Its a platinum card with AF! I guess im screwed both ways. I dont want their business either, but is more concerned that they might report some negative info on my report. What i should do??

As Nixon stated close them.  There is NO reason to pay an AF and not be able to use the cards!  They can't hurt your remaining credit, they don't have that power.  Close them, don't look back, move on and don't give them another thought!

CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 7 of 33
orestrus
Frequent Contributor

Nothing. I just paid the balance in full..Called EO and was transferred to fraud dept, rep confirmed "nothing they can do" . Closed circle. May be pictore of my idwas of poor quality, but they dont even let me take a better pic!!!!
Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel your pain.  Or rather, my husband does.  Cap1 just did the same thing to him - he had a Platinum with AF, paid it on time, every time.  His card was restricted "due to fraud", but they actually went so far as to send him a brand new card with a new account number - the first time he tried to use it, they blocked it, he called and they said everything was closed.  It was a secured card, so they just sent him back his deposit and we called it good.

The only explanation in our case that I can think of is that his FICO scores shot up from the low 600's to the mid 700's over the course of six months - but the only reason for that is because he's an AU on some of my cards - not all of them, but the bigger ones, he is. 

He's just shrugged it off - it doesn't seem to bother him particularly.  I would do what others have suggested - just shrug it off and move on.  There's better companies to do business with, anyway.

Message 9 of 33
orestrus
Frequent Contributor

if i ever decide to apply for their product in the future, will they automatically decline me over that issue?? Life is full of surprises, im just astonished to say at least
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.