Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotel Pre-Auths & CL Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hotel Pre-Auths & CL Questions

I have a trip coming up at the end of July in the Caribbean. The resort we are staying at charges room rate, tax, fees, etc. + $250/NT incidentals when you check in as an pre-authorization. The total authorization will be around $2800+/- total. Final bill should only be about $1600 - $2000.

Here is my dilemma. I got the Arrival + about a month ago with the 70K bonus miles after $5K in spend. My plan was to use this card for this stay to finish out my SUB spend, but my limit is only $2500.

Questions:
- Are authorizations treated the same as actual purchases in relation to CL?
- Is it possible to request a “temp” CLI and explain my situation?
- Is 30 days too early to request a CLI? (I know.....I should have reconed after approval)

I ran about $2.4K through the card the first month and PIF before my 1st statement cut.
Edit:  I am only an AU on the Barclay AA card in my signature.
Any advice is appreciated!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hotel Pre-Auths & CL Questions

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a trip coming up at the end of July in the Caribbean. The resort we are staying at charges room rate, tax, fees, etc. + $250/NT incidentals when you check in as an pre-authorization. The total authorization will be around $2800+/- total. Final bill should only be about $1600 - $2000.

Here is my dilemma. I got the Arrival + about a month ago with the 70K bonus miles after $5K in spend. My plan was to use this card for this stay to finish out my SUB spend, but my limit is only $2500.

Questions:
- Is 30 days too early to request a CLI? (I know.....I should have reconed after approval)

I ran about $2.4K through the card the first month and PIF before my 1st statement cut.

You can have them reallocate a portion of the CL from your Aviator card in the interim.   Optionally, if your Arrival card is less than 30 days old (not beyond) you can contact them to see about a SL reconsideration, but the reallocation route would be more feasible.

ETA - scratch the reallocation piece, I read too fast and noticed you're an AU on the Aviator, not the primary.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Questions:

You can have them reallocate a portion of the CL from your Aviator card in the interim.   Optionally, if your Arrival card is less than 30 days old (not beyond) you can contact them to see about a SL reconsideration, but the reallocation route would be more feasible.

ETA - scratch the reallocation piece, I read too fast and noticed you're an AU on the Aviator, not the primary.

Unfortunately I am just over 30 days, by about 3 days.  Yes, I should have stated that I am only an AU on the AA card.  Thank you for the feedback.

Message 3 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I checked into a Best Western today for a prepaid stay. I handed my CSR over, thinking I was only going to be charged a pre-auth for incidentals. Turns out they billed me a second time for the full stay!

Fortunately I had the Chase app on my phone and could show the old charge. A supervisor was able to reverse the second charge.

Definitely the sort of issue that would have been harder to resolve before smartphones!
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any suggestions on this? Just mainly wondering if either a temp increase is possible or if a CLI after 1 statement is possible or even worth trying for. I can always use my AMEX, but want to hit my SUB with this.
Message 5 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Any suggestions on this? Just mainly wondering if either a temp increase is possible or if a CLI after 1 statement is possible or even worth trying for. I can always use my AMEX, but want to hit my SUB with this.

If it were me, I would just use my AmX for authorization when checking in; and when I checked out, use my Arrival for final bill. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If it were me, I would just use my AmX for authorization when checking in; and when I checked out, use my Arrival for final bill. 

Don't know why I didn't think of that.  Been a long week.  Thank you!

Message 7 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't know why I didn't think of that.  Been a long week.  Thank you!

Smiley LOL You're welcome. TGIF!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Well. authorizations aren't considered purchases. It's like a gas station, they usually authorize $50-$100, and then submit the actual purchase amount, which makes the authorization fall off. But if the resort tries to authorize $2800 on a card with $2500 CL it will be declined.

Talk to the resort and ask if you can pre-pay for your room only on the Arrival +, and then give them a different card at check-in for incidentals. But there is a risk in pre-paying for a room, someone gets sick and you can't go, flight gets canceled and you have to re-book for the next day, etc. Maybe they'll let you pay for the room at check-in on the Arrival and then use another card for incidentals.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.