Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Household income to be allowed on CC apps

tag
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: Household income to be allowed on CC apps

We are not talking about joint accounts. Hhi has always been allowed for joint applications. This is about one person applying for credit, but listing another person's income as the means of repayment. The fact that the two people are married doesn't double the income and that income may have already been used as a promise to repay other debts. The joint expenses argument is easily solved by listing 1/2 of the mortgage if you pay half. But again, this isn't about 2 income families splitting expenses. It is about two members of a one income family both using that income to obtain individual credit. The fact that it is now legal doesn't change the ethical or economic value of the practice.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 11 of 79
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@indiolatino61 wrote:

CCCs will have 6 months to comply.

And I so enjoyed those threads debating whether it was still legal/ethical to list HHI.  I'll miss that.

Smiley Very Happy

Still don't agree with it......

Relying on someone else's income to pay your debts is a recipe for disaster. Couples break up, marriages end in divorce, people lose their jobs...then instead of only one person being responsible during hard times, it is then two. How many posts here have detailed "hubby" leaving nothing but financial ruin? It may seem great at the moment that you're granted a higher CL than you would have been able to get on your own, but it doesn't come without possible consequences. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with your statement. Smiley Happy

This is open to anyone to respond.  But LS, I'm not 21 yet but I have a question regarding this.  What do you feel about a 21 year old in school using their parents income on a CC app?  As a student, I make no more than 10k annually and despite my file, I don't see myself getting approved for anything I really want/plan on applying for in the future so the household income would help me out alot.  If you still wouldn't recommend using parent's income on CC app, what if we were to only report a part of their income on a CC app?

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 12 of 79
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Do you have reasonable access to your parent's income to pay your debts? I know I did not when I was 21. That may be different for some families, but I would guess without reading more about the reg that this was not targeted toward children using their parent's income.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 79
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

IF you have household expenses you should be allowed to to use HHI.  When your in a relationship you plan bills based on your HHI your credit profile should be no different.  While trashing my credit my DW remained flawless and have relied on that for many years (around 800 mark).  So I do agree not mixing credit.  But If you need a creditor to see the whole picture then you got to do what you got to do.  In my case was going to be joint app for home improvement.   So YMMV.    

AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 14 of 79
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I think if you are objecting to the use of HHI for couples, you are making decisions at the margins rather than for the majority of couples. Do people really think that all else being equal, a single person making $35K per year has the same purchasing power as someone with the same individual income but who is married to a partner making $200K per year? Even if you personally hold this belief, shouldn't the person lending the money be allowed to disagree with you in evaluating the risk of lending to those two individuals.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 15 of 79
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

I'm glad they are, dh pays me each month household expenses and etc I'm a sahm no joint checking etc. I also have my own other money but if fr eould be a pain I'd probably close my accounts. It will be easier. I make more than said on apps.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 79
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:
Do you have reasonable access to your parent's income to pay your debts? I know I did not when I was 21. That may be different for some families, but I would guess without reading more about the reg that this was not targeted toward children using their parent's income.

I wouldn't necessarily say reasonable access, but I do know my mom would help when she can, if I even needed her help.  I think I read that 25k is desired minimum income for a lot of cards so I wouldn't even report all of my mom's annual income since I know they'd most likely want proof of income, and I'm not sure of the process, but I'm sure it would probably make me dread not using just my income in the first place.  So at the most, I'd consider putting 25k down.  And when they say HHI, I didn't know it specifically meant spouse's income, I figured it mean parent's income is allowed to be used as well.

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 17 of 79
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

I don't agree with using HHI.  My wife is a stay at home mom I make around 80k.  For example say I have CL on all my cards worth 100%  of my annual salary some people on here have more, some with less of a percentage.  Now my wife is using my salary to get  cc in her name with say 100% cl of my annual salary.  So the banks in total have 2x my salary for us to use at our disposal.  Thats is asking for trouble not for me but the banks I mean they are in a business to make money also.  I would rather the other partner be maybe be able use a percentage of my salary not the whole thing.  Lets be real even though we share all our expenses do we really? And how can we when only one person is making a salary.  Aside from investment Stocks, Mutual Funds etc.

Message 18 of 79
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Wally, it states you need to have a reasonable expectation of access to the other income. I haven't read the commentary for the new reg, but I would not describe adult children as having reasonable expectations of access to their parent's income.

Message 19 of 79
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@ezdoesit

So are you saying your DW should not have cc's in her name cause she's a stay at home mom? Are you afraid that if she obtained cc's using your salary she would spend 2x as much?
Message 20 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.