Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do You Dispose of a Metal Credit Card

tag
rbentley
Established Contributor

How Do You Dispose of a Metal Credit Card

So, somehow my Chase Amazon Prime card got compromised.  Chase's fraud department contacted me and told me someone had reported my card lost and had requested the replacement be sent to a new address.  They failed the ID verification and that caused Chase to contact me.  They canceled the card to stop any additional action on it and sent me a new replacement card.  It was only after the new card arrived and I tried to destroy the old metal card that I realized how difficult that was.  You can barely bend this card and the numbers are carved in, making them impossible to obliterate.  The card has been canceled so it really can't be missused, but how do you go about destroying this card so mischief cant happen.  You can't simply cut it up with sisters or run it thru a home shreder.  (I am feeling a lot of gratitude that this is the biggest problem in my life right now.  Smiley Happy.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: How Do You Dispose of a Metal Credit Card

@rbentley wrote:

So, somehow my Chase Amazon Prime card got compromised.  Chase's fraud department contacted me and told me someone had reported my card lost and had requested the replacement be sent to a new address.  They failed the ID verification and that caused Chase to contact me.  They canceled the card to stop any additional action on it and sent me a new replacement card.  It was only after the new card arrived and I tried to destroy the old metal card that I realized how difficult that was.  You can barely bend this card and the numbers are carved in, making them impossible to obliterate.  The card has been canceled so it really can't be missused, but how do you go about destroying this card so mischief cant happen.  You can't simply cut it up with sisters or run it thru a home shreder.  (I am feeling a lot of gratitude that this is the biggest problem in my life right now.  Smiley Happy.

It's really hard. What I did was bend it back and forth around 30 times with a locking pliers.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Chase generally encloses a prepaid return envelope for the old metal when sending out new metal cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 25
rbentley
Established Contributor

They didn't do that in my case.  I have wondered about taking it into a branch.

Those cards are virtually indistructable.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Find a place that will shred old hard drives.

Or use a cutting disc on a dremel, or a grinding disc to obliterate the numbers.

Of course, since the card is canceled and the number is no longer valid, it doesn't have to be destroyed.  I don't know what you'd do when you get a renewal card when it expires and the account # doesn't change though.

Message 5 of 25
redpat
Senior Contributor

My company’s commercial shredder bin.  Secure and becomes mince meat.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 6 of 25
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

When the metal card was first issued, it was posted here that you could take the cards into a branch or request a mailer.

Message 7 of 25
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Just call Chase and have them send you an envelope. I have had to do that a few times. My favorite was when I loaded up the envelope with 6 Ritz cards .that had a surprising amount of heft!

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 8 of 25
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Tin snips

33685.jpg

Message 9 of 25
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Take a Dremel or engraver to it.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.