Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Do You Dispose of a Metal Credit Card

Gorilla Glue them together... use as a paperweight 🎃

Message 11 of 25
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

This is another reason why I hate metal cards.  Bring back the plastic!

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 12 of 25
SBR249
Established Contributor

I like metal cards because metal is infinitely recyclable. Though I guess you'd also need to factor in the environmental cost of having to mail it back for secure disposal in many cases. 

Message 13 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@SBR249 wrote:

I like metal cards because metal is infinitely recyclable. Though I guess you'd also need to factor in the environmental cost of having to mail it back for secure disposal in many cases. 

I don't know how cleanly the metal in cards can be recycled, given plastic coatings and glued-in or otherwise embedded EMV chips.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 25
Gmood1
Super Contributor

My bent up metal cards are still in my SD. I haven't figured out how to dispose of them. lol
I received a letter from WF yesterday, notifying me they were replacing my CC with them. Something to do with some customers having issues with their cards working at certain terminals. So they are replacing all customer cards.
I'll have another metal card in the SD waiting on disposal.😂
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any branch will take the card and throw it in the trash can for you lol

It’s a paperweight since it’s cancelled. Just throw it out.
Message 16 of 25
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Funny story...Swipe a magnet where the strip is. This will erase everyting. I had a 911 call at a MRI office years ago. Walked in and then all my cards in my wallet were rendered usless before chips days later.

Message 17 of 25
rbentley
Established Contributor

Since my card was canceled and a new card and number issued the risk of misuse is misicule.  I do wonder though what one would do when you receive a new card with the same number but new expiration date.

I am not sure how recyclable these cards are.  I don't know what the exact metal is and neither would my recycle company.  My guess is that it would end up in a landfill for generations along with plastic c ards.  My guess is that turning it into a branch would really just result in it being thrown out with the trash.

Has anyone received a return envelop from Chase upon receiving a new metal card?

Message 18 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, it's a fairly simple process for disposal.

Contrary to what was stated above, the branches do not just "throw them away". They have specific recepticles for destruction or are shipped back (securely) for proper disposal.

If stepping into a branch is inconvenient, then call Chase, ask them to send you an envelope to dispose of your Amazon metal core card. Place it in the mailbox. Done!
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hole punch one corner of the card, use a key ring and/or in combo with a zip tie through the hole and attach to your luggage. Now you have a customized luggage tag!  PS. don't forget to demagnitize the strip, you can use a standard fridge magnet but do it several times a good scrape on the strip will do the trick as well...  myFICO hacks Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.