cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Does One Qualify For A Line Of Credit?

tag
jbh
Established Contributor

How Does One Qualify For A Line Of Credit?

Are the approval requirements the same as a credit card? My bank is BoA and they

denied me a credit card because I had too many new accounts (not enough that are a year old)

I was able to land a citi business but I know boa hates me. So, I wonder, would a LOC

application also lead to the same results? For those that have both cc's and LOC's, have you noticed

a difference in lending requirements for each unique offering?

Thank you very much.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: How Does One Qualify For A Line Of Credit?

BOA is pretty tough no a days. I had more luck with Citi than BOA for Credit Cards. I could not get LOC from BOA or Citi. I would try after 6 months again.
Message 2 of 7
jbh
Established Contributor

Well, just to clarify I never tried for LOC before and, as for cc's, I might just

go with credit unions in the future. 

Message 3 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I have a CC with FIA and an unsecured LOC with BoA. I've had these accounts for some time, but at the time I apped, I couldn't find any difference between the two accounts as far as underwriting goes. After all, they are both unsecured revolving accounts. Unfortunately, today's bad economy is throwing a wrench into everything.

Message 4 of 7
jbh
Established Contributor

Thanks, Fused.
Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

National City Declined a Business Line of Credit for my mom, but then 1 week later approved 15k Business Credit Card.  Fifth Third declined a line of credit but then approved a $17,500 Credit card also in my moms name.

The only place we have successfully received a line of credit was our local credit union, and part of the approval they paid off 1 credit card to bring util into the range they except.

They are much stricter in my experience then credit cards.

Message 6 of 7
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

They are much stricter in my experience then credit cards.

NFCU seems pretty generous with their LOC FWIW.

Here we go again...
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.