cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Generous is Citi with starting CL's?

tag
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

Re: How Generous is Citi with starting CL's?

One of the best...my newest and highest limit.

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 11 of 17
HiHiHiHiHiHi
New Contributor

When I applied for the Citi Simplicty card in November they gave me a limit of 11.7K. Three months ago they gave me a 2k CLI with a soft pull. I had 4 Citi cards prior to the Simplicity. 2 with limits of 1k each and 2 with limits of 4k each. They were from 6 - 12 years ago.

Scores: EQ-798 EX-802 TU-786

CC: |Amex PRG - NPSL| |Citi Simplicity - 22.6K| |CapOne No Hassle Rewards - 20K| |Chase Freedom 17.5K| |CSP 15K| |Discover IT - 7.8K| |Discover More - 6.1K| |GE PC Richard - 4.5K| |Amex Delta Gold - 3.5K| |Citi Goodyear - 2.5K| |CapOne Kohls - 1.5K| |GAP - 1.5K| |Macy's Amex - 1K| |Ann Taylor - 0.5K| |NY&C - 0.5K|
Message 12 of 17
KatherineLee
Valued Member

I am a grad student making 25k a year and with the exception of a store card, my Citibank platinum is my lowest cl at 1k. Also have a us bank flexperks cash rewards at 4k, chase slate at 3k, discover more at 3k, and very recently a Amex bce at 15k (still think they made a mistake with that!) I got the Citibank second to last. It was my most recent until yesterday wIth the Amex. I guess I am NOT getting love from Citibank.
Message 13 of 17
spambait
Established Member

fwiw, I just applied for a Citi card & they gave me my lowest credit limit of all major banks.  I have $27.5K with CapOne, $25K with US Bank, $19K with Chase, $15K with AMEX (twice) and Discover.  All those limits were what banks gave me on their own, I've never asked for a limit increase from anyone, not even once.  I own my home free & clear and make 6 figures, so my income is pretty much entirely disposable.  Citi gave me $9400.

Message 14 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@OptimasPrime wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to posting but have been lurking for quite awhile now. I was thinking about adding a Citi (either forward or TY Preferred) to my portfolio as its really the last major lender that I'm missing. Based on my Fico's I'm pretty sure approval wouldn't be an issue. So I guess my question is whether or not anyone has any experience with Citi matching or exceeding cl's of other creditors on existing tradelines? 

Income is a bit of a limiting factor for me as I am currently in grad school. I finish up school in May and have accepted a well paying full time position so it would be best for me to just wait a year increase my existing cl's accordingly and then app for citi but I am a bit impatient. 

I would appreciate the input of anyone was has experience with Citi.Thank you.

This IMO is your best option to get a good or better CL with Citi.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

For me, they were in the middle of my low and high CLs, similar to BofA.  Both Amex and Chase gave me higher CLs, while Barclay, Discover, Cap One, and BBRZ gave me lower.  

Message 16 of 17
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@OptimasPrime wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to posting but have been lurking for quite awhile now. I was thinking about adding a Citi (either forward or TY Preferred) to my portfolio as its really the last major lender that I'm missing. Based on my Fico's I'm pretty sure approval wouldn't be an issue. So I guess my question is whether or not anyone has any experience with Citi matching or exceeding cl's of other creditors on existing tradelines? 

Income is a bit of a limiting factor for me as I am currently in grad school. I finish up school in May and have accepted a well paying full time position so it would be best for me to just wait a year increase my existing cl's accordingly and then app for citi but I am a bit impatient. 

I would appreciate the input of anyone was has experience with Citi.Thank you.

This IMO is your best option to get a good or better CL with Citi.

Yeah I think this is what I am going to do. I can do without citi for a little while and will receive a much better starting cl if I wait until spring/summer. Discover is 5% on online shopping (edit- read:Amazon) next quarter anyway which is one of the main things that drew me towards the Citi Forward.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.