cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Good is Barclay JetBlue Plus Card with Granting Credit Limit Increases?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

How Good is Barclay JetBlue Plus Card with Granting Credit Limit Increases?

I have had the card since December 2020 and have done very well with it. I have put thousands of dollars through it, paid it off to 0, met spend for a 100k point SUB, was given another 0% BT offer that I took advantage of, putting $3000 back on the card and paid it down to $400 currently (with 4 months left on the offer), and have received repeated, additional offers from them. I am therefore, surprised, that I have not received an auto cli from them yet. My cl is $8000 and I really would like for it to be higher, so if I take advantage of other offers they send my way, I'd have a big enough cushion to not be sitting close to my limit. Should I go ahead and take the HP hit and request a CLI, or should I sit tight and hope they give me an automatic one? How generous are they with granting cli requests or giving auto increases?

9 REPLIES 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: How Good is Barclay JetBlue Plus Card with Granting Credit Limit Increases?

I've never received any Auto-Luv from Barclay's, my View account is around $9K, which I was only able to get bumped up by calling in and requesting over the phone, and taking a HP on TU.

YMMV here, I'm sure in some cases people are getting auto CLIs but it's never happened for me.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 10
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

I used to have a number of Barclays cards including the jetblue/jetblue plus ended up closing the jetblue plus and they folded that credit line into my jetblue card

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 3 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

I have had the card since December 2020 and have done very well with it. I have put thousands of dollars through it, paid it off to 0, met spend for a 100k point SUB, was given another 0% BT offer that I took advantage of, putting $3000 back on the card and paid it down to $400 currently (with 4 months left on the offer), and have received repeated, additional offers from them. I am therefore, surprised, that I have not received an auto cli from them yet. My cl is $8000 and I really would like for it to be higher, so if I take advantage of other offers they send my way, I'd have a big enough cushion to not be sitting close to my limit. Should I go ahead and take the HP hit and request a CLI, or should I sit tight and hope they give me an automatic one? How genrous are they with granting cli requests or giving auto increases?

1. They very very rarely give auto CLI's.

2. Any CLI request is always HP on TU.

3. They are known to take adverse action against people for no good reason, and one thing that came up in the discussions -- including mine -- is balance transfers; many people who suffered adverse action reported having accepted balance transfer offers. Barclays seems to hold it against you if you take advantage of their balance transfer offers. They seem to think accepting balance transfer offers is a sign of financial desperation.

4. My advice to you if you want an auto CLI is to (a) not use the balance transfer offers, and (b) keep your spending in the 10% to 20% range of the credit limit. They published a blog article once in which they indicated that the best way to get a CLI is to not spend too little (which they consider renders you unprofitable) and to not spend too much (which they consider renders you risky).  However, your best bet IMHO is to just put the thought of a CLI out of your mind.

It's a shame that such a good card is in the hands of such a bad bank.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 10
tussking
Established Contributor

I got the card a few years back with a 10k CL. I used the card for 6 months and called and spoke to a credit analyst. I literally spend 30 mins on the phone and was interviewed and asked about everything on my CR in detail. I explained I needed a higher limit for business travel and I wanted it to match my other limits of $25k. It was granted and have yet to see any additional CLI's. I did get a 0% APR for 9 months on purchases.

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 5 of 10
SPChaser
Established Contributor

When first getting into the travel card game in 2017, I was approved for 5k, and then after being basically maxed out last couple years, I paid off the balance in March. With CS vastly improving, I took a HP and was given a 4K CLI. Even though I felt my income and up coming travel usage required a much larger increase, recon CSR didn't see that. I was bummed, but the decision was unstandable. They're reasoning was that lets see how I manage account going forward, and they may increase limit with me requesting. On the other hand, I will not be asking for a CLI anymore. If my usage and CSs don't garner me an auto CLI, then I'll be fine with the 9K CL. 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 6 of 10
Repairman
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

I have had the card since December 2020 and have done very well with it. I have put thousands of dollars through it, paid it off to 0, met spend for a 100k point SUB, was given another 0% BT offer that I took advantage of, putting $3000 back on the card and paid it down to $400 currently (with 4 months left on the offer), and have received repeated, additional offers from them. I am therefore, surprised, that I have not received an auto cli from them yet. My cl is $8000 and I really would like for it to be higher, so if I take advantage of other offers they send my way, I'd have a big enough cushion to not be sitting close to my limit. Should I go ahead and take the HP hit and request a CLI, or should I sit tight and hope they give me an automatic one? How genrous are they with granting cli requests or giving auto increases?

3. They are known to take adverse action against people for no good reason, and one thing that came up in the discussions -- including mine -- is balance transfers; many people who suffered adverse action reported having accepted balance transfer offers. Barclays seems to hold it against you if you take advantage of their balance transfer offers. They seem to think accepting balance transfer offers is a sign of financial desperation.

4. My advice to you if you want an auto CLI is to (a) not use the balance transfer offers, and (b) keep your spending in the 10% to 20% range of the credit limit. They published a blog article once in which they indicated that the best way to get a CLI is to not spend too little (which they consider renders you unprofitable) and to not spend too much (which they consider renders you risky).  However, your best bet IMHO is to just put the thought of a CLI out of your mind.

So, last week, I went ahead and requested a $10,000 cli online. They instantly countered with $3500 and I accepted.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

=========================================================

I have exactly the opposite experience. I have Barclay's card for 6 years...They never did auto-CL increase for me all these years until I used 95-97% of my CL on BT...It had a promotional BT fees of 1% ...Within 3-4 months of doing BT, they automatically doubled my CL...a huge one...I was so surprised because they never increased my CL all these years despite of heavy spend, but once I did BT to almost full my credit line, I got big increase within short period of time...There has never been any adverse action so far...I think, everyone's experience could be different. Who knows, adverse action after doing BT is a random thing, but I have never experienced any adverse action from Barclay despite of doing heavy spend and doing BT up to my limit...

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman wrote:

So, last week, I went ahead and requested a $10,000 cli online. They instantly countered with $3500 and I accepted.

=========================================

HP or SP, if you know? Congratulation on your good increase....

Message 9 of 10
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

=========================================

HP or SP, if you know? Congratulation on your good increase....

Thanks. Hard pull.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.