Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Have So Many People Joined NFCU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Have So Many People Joined NFCU?

Just like the title says, I see so many NFCU accounts here...are there just that many service men and women out there? It seems fairly difficult to gain membership.
Message 1 of 79
78 REPLIES 78
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: How Have So Many People Joined NFCU?

I heard from a coworker today that NFCU is letting anyone (as in non military) in now, is this correct?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 79
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
I heard from a coworker today that NFCU is letting anyone (as in non military) in now, is this correct?

I don't think so...

Eligibility Checklist

Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration.
If you fall under any of these categories, you're eligible to join:

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and
Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees
and annuitants

All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants

All Delayed Entry Program (DEP) Personnel

All DoD Officer Candidate programs—Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy,
United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy
and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs*

U.S. government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)

All DoD civilian employees—including retirees and annuitants

DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 79
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I think she may have gotten it mixed up with a different CU, i had my doubts lol

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

I wish. That's why I made this thread bc I looked at the eligibility requirements and it's not like Penfed where you can make a donation.

Message 5 of 79
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

NFCU is mentioned a lot here because of its popularity with rebuilders ~ they usually give very nice CLs and approvals even to people with low scores.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:

NFCU is mentioned a lot here because of its popularity with rebuilders ~ they usually give very nice CLs and approvals even to people with low scores.

No I know why it's mentioned. I'm just surprised that so many people are eligible for membership. I for one would love an NFCU card.

Message 7 of 79
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Ctb I really want an account with them too but i dont have family in the milatary......eh.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 79
themeggerz
New Contributor

ctb89 wrote

No I know why it's mentioned. I'm just surprised that so many people are eligible for membership. I for one would love an NFCU card.

I'm sure you can google a recruiter in your area Smiley Wink

SCORES (2/2013): EX 795 TU 717 EXP 726
Goal: 800+ and Gardening

Wallet: NavyFed 15k AMEX BCE 2k Discover 3k BOA 5k
CapitalOne 2250 HSBC RZM 950 Best Buy SC 2900
GEMB/Paypal 3700 Merrick Bank 1k Zales 2k Barclays 1300 GEMB/AJMadison 3600 Walmart 800 VS 500 NY&CO 400
Message 9 of 79
missji
Regular Contributor

I think it seems easy because you can actually be pretty far removed from a service member and still become a member. I was able to join because my sister works for the Navy (as a civilian) and is a member. I joined through her. The CU told me that now anyone in my immediate family or in my household can join with me as their sponsor since I'm a member. So my mom can join through me even though she isn't my sister's mom. Once she joins, anyone in her immediate family or household can join and so on.
Gardening as of June 2020. No activity until January 2023 unless it's an auto CLI.
Starting Scores (6/30/2020): EQ 640 | EX 660 | TU 658
Current Scores (05/22/2021): EQ 678 | EX 714 | TU 689
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.