cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Have So Many People Joined NFCU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Have So Many People Joined NFCU?

@themeggerz wrote:

ctb89 wrote

No I know why it's mentioned. I'm just surprised that so many people are eligible for membership. I for one would love an NFCU card.

I'm sure you can google a recruiter in your area Smiley Wink

Ha I want a card but not that badly. Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@missji wrote:
I think it seems easy because you can actually be pretty far removed from a service member and still become a member. I was able to join because my sister works for the Navy (as a civilian) and is a member. I joined through her. The CU told me that now anyone in my immediate family or in my household can join with me as their sponsor since I'm a member. So my mom can join through me even though she isn't my sister's mom. Once she joins, anyone in her immediate family or household can join and so on.

Family isn't far removed and household isn't either (although it is less so). In that case, you are living with your mother which is why she could join. I guess I need to find a friend in the service who will let me have some bills sent to his/her place.

Message 12 of 79
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ctb lol! Serve your country!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 79
luvsandyshores
Regular Contributor

I just joined.  My eligibility is through family members in service.  If you think about it, how many people are in the armed forces?  And how many civilian DOD employees are there?  Then add all their family members, and you get a very large number. 

CH13 confirmed 1/2016
Message 14 of 79
john398
Senior Contributor

They actually just opened a local branch that I drive by daily, but not sure if I could join, my dad was in the army however he is no longer living

Message 15 of 79
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

The sad part about it is no VETERANS ALLOWED!!

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 16 of 79
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

I dunno, my grandfather was in the Army and served in the Korean War. He is no longer living. So I called up NFCU and mentioned all of this and the rep told me that so long as I knew what branch he served in and his rank and so long as he wasn't dishonorably discharged then I could qualify. I reiterated several times that he was deceased but the rep told me it wasn't an issue. I don't know if she knew what she was talking about, though... Unfortunately neither I nor anyone in my family know my grandfather's rank and I'm not sure where to go to get that information. I may call again to discuss with someone else, possibly a supervisor with them.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 17 of 79
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

they told me no.....but hey go for it!!

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 18 of 79
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

Just called back. 80% disabled Navy Vietnam Veteran not allowed to become a member. Just doesn't seem right.

Message 19 of 79
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

A lot of us got in when Navy announced buying USAFederal or USFederal (I already forget!) They were open by joining an organization and about a month or so later all accounts moved to Navy.

If you live with someone that has Navy or family you can get it.

I actually was talking to rep this morning who told me I should have people apply something about promo for $25 I think saying send friends and family... I said "Friends?" I can refer anyone, she was like well they still have to apply but tell them to call in, many don't realize all the ways we might be able to get them approved in... I'll update I sent my member number over to my friend that I was trying to get last week through his family chain, but to far down line and some passed away.

Message 20 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.