cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Have So Many People Joined NFCU?

tag
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Re: How Have So Many People Joined NFCU?

My dad and that entire side of my family is all AF and Army. My dad got me into USAA as he is a member there but he is not in NFCU and I still got in.
-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 71 of 79
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Careful, there are some horror stories out there about people joining nfcu after being given bad info by nfcu about their eligibility or just outright fraud. Fast forward a few months and security unit in nfcu does eligibility audit and they fail, all accounts frozen canceled etc. Safest route for those not directly eligible is to have their nfcu connection join and save their nfcu number. If not possible as the person with diseased grandparent, try and get some data.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 72 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined when I was in AFROTC  while in college many years ago.  I currently have no affiliation with any miltary or government.  If my membership ever becomes questioned, I'll just have my dad, who is retired from Air Force, to settle the issue.  

Message 73 of 79
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
Careful, there are some horror stories out there about people joining nfcu after being given bad info by nfcu about their eligibility or just outright fraud. Fast forward a few months and security unit in nfcu does eligibility audit and they fail, all accounts frozen canceled etc. Safest route for those not directly eligible is to have their nfcu connection join and save their nfcu number. If not possible as the person with diseased grandparent, try and get some data.

this is true. when i found out about nfcu last year i knew with my brother being active duty marines i could join. i didnt know weather or not he was a member so i called and gave his name told them his status and they let me in quite quickly. about a month later they locked me out of my accounts faster than a snake bite. security team got ahold of me and questioned my elegibility so i called my brother and got his access number and they settled everything back to normal really fast.

but yes i know what you mean they do let military affiliation in quite easily then they break hearts down the road when they do a review and find out that you are indeed not elegible

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 74 of 79
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@bichonmom wrote:

Your family member doesn't need to have been a member for you to qualify. If they would have qualified for m'ship when they were alive, then you (as a relative) can qualify (as long as it's in the list of family members on their site).

If you call them, they'll be very happy to help you determine if you're eligible.

I'm not trying to Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif  but I go back to that same statement from NFCU: Once your family member has joined, they can extend the membership opprtunity to their family members, too.

But I could be just misreading everything.  It's happened to me before.  Smiley Happy

Message 75 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I'm not trying to Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif  but I go back to that same statement from NFCU: Once your family member has joined, they can extend the membership opprtunity to their family members, too.

But I could be just misreading everything.  It's happened to me before.  Smiley Happy

The mods get the best toys

Message 76 of 79
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Hate to necropost, but I just wanted to say that I will post here (if i can find this thread again) when I find out if I am truly eligible.

I'm a disabled veteran, and was RETIRED from the Army. On my DD-214, item 9a., type of separation, says Retired. IMO, it doesn't get any more official than that. We'll see what they have to say.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 77 of 79
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I think pension status determines eligibility.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 78 of 79
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

I sure hope that if I am NOT eligible, that I'll be able to get them to remove the Hard Inquiries from my CRs. *sigh*

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 79 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.