cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Before You Can Ask for CLI on Best Buy Card?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

How Long Before You Can Ask for CLI on Best Buy Card?

Does anyone know, from experience, how long after openeing and in between increases can you can ask for a credit limit increase on the Best Buy Visa card? I opened mine in July and put pretty strong usage on it weekly, and always pay it off completely as soon as charges post, except for a promotional balance, which I pay down monthly over the minium due. I recently requested a cli increase, just under 3 months after getting the card, and got denied due to "insufficient time since last review." Any suggestions on what I can do to get approved for a cli next time? How long should I wait? Should I put a certain amount of spend on it and pay off before requesting? Any chance of getting the cli while I still have a zero interest promotional balance? 

Any tips and/or tricks are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Long Before You Can Ask for CLI on Best Buy Card?

@Repairman 

In my experience, Best Buy is six months for the first request and then every six months. Remember to ask high because they will counter and you don't want to leave any money on the table. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned upthread, it's generally around 6 months.  Just keep in mind that it'll result in a HP (typically on EQ).

Message 3 of 12
Repairman
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

As mentioned upthread, it's generally around 6 months.  Just keep in mind that it'll result in a HP (typically on EQ).

Wow. Thanks for that info. I wasn't even thinking that it would be a hard pull.

Message 4 of 12
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repairman 

In my experience, Best Buy is six months for the first request and then every six months. Remember to ask high because they will counter and you don't want to leave any money on the table. Smiley Wink

Thanks for the info! Well, 6 months I will wait! How successful have you been with the card? What type of cli have you received?

Message 5 of 12
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Scores in the high 700's at the time. Approved at 14K, about 6 months later, I called in and requested 20K. CSR had to ask her manager and they asked me a few questions but it was ultimately approved...though it was definitely a manual review as she couldn't approve it automatically. 

It's currently my highest CL overall (after Amex BCE CLD for insufficient usage).

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman 

My BB Visa started at $2K. At six months called and asked for $8K (if I remember correctly), nope but they countered with $5K. Manual review while I was on the phone and the HP showed up several days later on myFico. My next attempt may wait because I am just coasting in the garden right now and not sure I want another HP at this point. I use the card for purchases outside of BB as well as at the store but I have only carried a balance for one payment cycle.

My dad got a $2500 SL on his BB store card. At six months he asked for $7500 and got it. At one year he went for $15K and they countered at $12K (that was strategically on Black Friday). The following year on Black Friday he asked for $18K and got it. He actually uses his card big time and let's the zero percent promos post for a few months before he pays them off. He flips homes and buys his appliance packages at BB so his card gets a ton of use.

When your six months is up I'll be waiting to read about your CLI success!!Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 12
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I mentioned this in another thread not long ago that I actually called the day I received my card and got a CLI. I got straight to the point. Told them that I had a purchase in mind and that my initial limit wasn't enough.

She asked what type of limit I was looking for, I said $10k. She advised that it would be an additional HP to which I was okay with because I truly did want something from the Magnolia section and my initial $2k wasn't going to get it done.

She came to the line and told me that it was approved. I did get the HP for it that she mentioned but that was a small price to pay for the increase as well as the ability to get what I wanted with special financing.

I've never requested an increase since as $10k is enough to get the job done for the things I buy there.
Message 8 of 12
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repairman 

My BB Visa started at $2K. At six months called and asked for $8K (if I remember correctly), nope but they countered with $5K. Manual review while I was on the phone and the HP showed up several days later on myFico. My next attempt may wait because I am just coasting in the garden right now and not sure I want another HP at this point. I use the card for purchases outside of BB as well as at the store but I have only carried a balance for one payment cycle.

My dad got a $2500 SL on his BB store card. At six months he asked for $7500 and got it. At one year he went for $15K and they countered at $12K (that was strategically on Black Friday). The following year on Black Friday he asked for $18K and got it. He actually uses his card big time and let's the zero percent promos post for a few months before he pays them off. He flips homes and buys his appliance packages at BB so his card gets a ton of use.

When your six months is up I'll be waiting to read about your CLI success!!Smiley Wink

Fantastic info. Thanks! And will do!  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
Repairman
Established Contributor

Wow, that's great. I would have done the same thing had I been in your situation. I was approved with a $4000 limit and only needed to make a $700 purchase when I opened it, so the increase in limit wasn't pressing to me at the time. But kudos to you on your success!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.