cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long To Keep Card Open To Make It Count...

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

How Long To Keep Card Open To Make It Count...

So I opened a Citi Secured Card in Oct of this year with a 2k CL

After some thought, i might not want to tie up 2k until the CD matures which won't be until April of 2014

If I decide to close the account, with a zero balance, what is the shortest amount of time I should leave it open to have a posative effect on my CR

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: How Long To Keep Card Open To Make It Count...

people generally say a year,and i would have to agree

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 6
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

I do agree with a year as being the best. However, I would say the minimum would be 6 months, apply for an unsecured card and be approved, THEN close out the secured!

Best of luck Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
Andy77
Valued Contributor

well I already have a citi unsecured card (was secured, then became unsecured)...but my limit is 200.00 and has been since 2009...they wont raise it...so opened another secured card, but now thinking, I might want the 2000.00 cash and pay the card off...

Message 4 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Closing a CC (credit cards) does not lower your FICO scores in and of itself. When deciding to close a CC there are two important things to consider. In the short-term, closing a CC can have an adverse affect on your UTIL percentage calculations and this in itself can definitely lower your scores. In the long-term, a closed CC in good standing (nothing derogatory reporting) with a $0 balance will generally be deleted from your CRs (credit reports) after 10 years. Once this account is deleted, you lose the history and age and this might lower your scores.

For More information on how closing credit cards can impact your FICO score, please check out the following link: Closing Credit Cards.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 6
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

I would still wait until you can get a bigger limit from a creditor who is good with CLI Smiley Happy then you won't have to worry about secured cards any longer! But if you feel like you really need that money back, just keep paying your unsecured $200 and maybe apply for a store card to help with building!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.