cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Until You Can Increase Purchasing Power With Bill Me Later?

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

How Long Until You Can Increase Purchasing Power With Bill Me Later?

Ive had bill me later for one statment with a $1001 limit...i paid the statment balance today and really just wanna use Bill Me Later as a means of buying big ticket items that honestly, just end up costing more than $1001 for the most part. I tried increasing the day i got the account by purchasing an item over $1001 and it declined.

How long until I can expect that limit to start creeping up?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: How Long Until You Can Increase Purchasing Power With Bill Me Later?

im wondering the same thing man. my limit has been 601 for 3 months now...i havent tried to go over my limit tho.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 9
shane82388
Established Contributor

You should try...it doesnt hurt you at all. They specifically say that on billmelater.com when you click the info button next to your limit. I just dont wanna go try and buy sometihng super expensive just to see if it will be upped and then not actually want it lol.

Message 3 of 9
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

You should try...it doesnt hurt you at all. They specifically say that on billmelater.com when you click the info button next to your limit. I just dont wanna go try and buy sometihng super expensive just to see if it will be upped and then not actually want it lol.

same here lol! thats why i havent tried

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 9
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

I've had my Bill Me Later account for a while, at least three years, maybe even four.  I have always used it a lot, mostly for small purchases but I have made large purchases also (including 2 vacations with airfaire through BookIt.com).  I've gotten a couple of increases automatically and I have gotten a couple because a purchase put me over the limit, including an increase this week.  The small purchases I would pay in full and the large purchases I would pay very quickly (most of them where 0% for a certain period of time, which I would pay before the time was up).  Time, regular use and good payment history are what is needed.  I think I started with $800-900 and am now at $4400.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 5 of 9
shane82388
Established Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

I've had my Bill Me Later account for a while, at least three years, maybe even four.  I have always used it a lot, mostly for small purchases but I have made large purchases also (including 2 vacations with airfaire through BookIt.com).  I've gotten a couple of increases automatically and I have gotten a couple because a purchase put me over the limit, including an increase this week.  The small purchases I would pay in full and the large purchases I would pay very quickly (most of them where 0% for a certain period of time, which I would pay before the time was up).  Time, regular use and good payment history are what is needed.  I think I started with $800-900 and am now at $4400.

Yeah time and payment history is always kind of the ticket for this type of thing...was jsut curious since i wanna but a lens for around $700, but also wanna buy some Christmas presents...obviously id rather get the presents taken care of now and worry about the lens later, but was jsut curious if id be able to get a small increase after one payment cycle...hm...i guess just have to try...

Message 6 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I got BML in January of this year and they just gave me a CLI a month or so ago to about $2400. My original CL was just under $1100. I checked and they did soft me on EQ right before the CLI.

I have used it only for PayPal, taking advantage of their 0% finance periods. I did get a CLI for a purchase in April, but the CLI was for less than $100. After that I didn't use it for any more purchases until October, when I got another CLI for a purchase -- just about $200.

I've made sure to PIF before the 0% ends, but have not made monthly payments, since it's not required and doesn't report to the CRAs.

If you've just gotten approved, the likelihood is that they have extended to you the max that they're willing at this time. But BML is a little odd, so it can't hurt to try -- you never know. The good side is that there's no HP, but the bad side is that the ONLY way to CLI (besides an auto-CLI) is to attempt to make a purchase and see if you're approved. They told me that you can do that but then decide NOT to go thru with the purchase -- if you just want to test the waters. (Unfortunately, this won't work w/eBay purchases, since you have to commit to the purchase/bid before the checkout thru PayPal/BML.)

Good luck! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 9
shane82388
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

I got BML in January of this year and they just gave me a CLI a month or so ago to about $2400. My original CL was just under $1100. I checked and they did soft me on EQ right before the CLI.

I have used it only for PayPal, taking advantage of their 0% finance periods. I did get a CLI for a purchase in April, but the CLI was for less than $100. After that I didn't use it for any more purchases until October, when I got another CLI for a purchase -- just about $200.

I've made sure to PIF before the 0% ends, but have not made monthly payments, since it's not required and doesn't report to the CRAs.

If you've just gotten approved, the likelihood is that they have extended to you the max that they're willing at this time. But BML is a little odd, so it can't hurt to try -- you never know. The good side is that there's no HP, but the bad side is that the ONLY way to CLI (besides an auto-CLI) is to attempt to make a purchase and see if you're approved. They told me that you can do that but then decide NOT to go thru with the purchase -- if you just want to test the waters. (Unfortunately, this won't work w/eBay purchases, since you have to commit to the purchase/bid before the checkout thru PayPal/BML.)

Good luck! Smiley Happy

On ebay...if you are planning to use Bill Me Later can you see if you are approved before you commit to buying the thing or are you committing without knowing if you can really buy it?

Message 8 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Sorry... I didn't realize you had replied to my post and I've been off the forum. You have to commit to buying the item BEFORE you know if you'll be approved by BML for the CLI.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.