Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long is Chase's Memory?

tag
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

How Long is Chase's Memory?

Allowed a CO on my Checking Account 10 years ago, during my college days...

Will this Blacklist me from Chase Products still? How long usually?

19 REPLIES 19
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: How Long is Chase's Memory?

YMMV, but quite a few people are still blacklisted 10-15 years after a credit card default. How much money are we talking about?

How does a checking account charge off even happen, though? Wouldn't checks simply fail to clear if there were insufficient funds? Or it was a checking account with an attached line of credit?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 20
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

Chase will cover checks, beyond your balance, without having an ODLOC, upto about $1,000. I believe I overdrew and charged off about $1,200-ish...

It's crazy how inconsequential things seem when we're young, compared to adults... It seems so easy to just not care then, and we don't realize how major it actually is...

Can I maybe test the waters by applying for a Checking Account FIRST, or will this not validate my blacklist redemption...?

Message 3 of 20
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

It keeps marking my post as SPAM and removing it... Why?

Message 4 of 20
Artemis092
Regular Contributor

I burned Chase for $1,000 about 13 years ago. I now have Amazon Chase for about 3 years with $4,000 credit limit and Chase Freedom with $13,9000 credit limit which I got about 5 months ago.

If you build it, they will come.

Amex BCE | Amex ED | BofA Rewards | Citibank DC | CitiBank Best Buy | Discover IT | Chase Amazon Prime | Chase Freedom | Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

YMMV, but quite a few people are still blacklisted 10-15 years after a credit card default. How much money are we talking about?

How does a checking account charge off even happen, though? Wouldn't checks simply fail to clear if there were insufficient funds? Or it was a checking account with an attached line of credit?

Deposit check 

Funds are made instantly available

Withdraw the funds

Check bounces after a day

Let the account close with negative balance

Message 6 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Charmante wrote:

It keeps marking my post as SPAM and removing it... Why?

If a post is incorrectly flagged by the SPAM filter, use the Report Inappropriate Content link in the 3 dots menu.  Making additional posts that are very similar to something it thinks is spam will also make it assume they are spam.  I restored the posts and deleted the duplicates.

Message 7 of 20
Charmante
Frequent Contributor

Thank you K.

Message 8 of 20
panda11
Regular Contributor

@Artemis092 Did you have to recon to get the approval or was it automatic?  I am 9 1/4 years post CH 7 filing, and waiting for the BK to fall off the report to pull the trigger for a Saphire Reserve, thank you in advance.

CH 7 Filed MAY 2011,EXP 2008 FICO 753; EQU 2009 FICO 795.
CO Visa 31.5K; CO Spark 15K; Chase Freedom 5K; AMEX Delta Blue 25K, Wally 5K; NFCU Cash 26.5K; USB Altitude 22.5K; Alliant Visa 10K;
Chase Freedom 5K; FNB AMEX 6K, AU Citi Costco 8K. AU Macy's 10K; AU Macys AMEX 2300

Message 9 of 20
JDnyc84
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Deposit check 

Funds are made instantly available

Withdraw the funds

Check bounces after a day

Let the account close with negative balance

This may have been viewed as check kiting and is seen as fraud vs. them just getting burned. *Edited to include quote.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.