Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many Credit Cards Does a Guy Need?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Many Credit Cards Does a Guy Need?

I have seen frequent examples of people with really high FICO scores who have a dozen or more credit cards with well over $100,000 in available credit. For someone whose income and habits support that level of spending, perhaps that makes sense, but for the rest ...  I don't get it.

I understand that high credit limits can result in low utilization rates, which FICO likes to see, and maybe FICO is impressed by how many businesses thought someone was creditworthy, but seriously: how much credit does a guy need to have before FICO (and subsequent credit grantors) say "you have too much available credit"?

1) 

Message 1 of 66
65 REPLIES 65
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

Re: How Many Credit Cards Does a Guy Need?

Go look at the Sync shutdown thread. Smiley Wink

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 2 of 66
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

😂😂😂

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 3 of 66
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Three is a good number for practical purposes. That gives you some options in case there's an issue with a card. If you have exactly three cards, two should be either Mastercard or Visa. If you wish to have both an AMEX and a Discover card, you should have at least four cards so you still have two Mastercards/Visas.

A few people are uncomfortable with as many as three cards. In that case, go for two.

From a scoring perspective, three cards is good for optimizing your card usage. Some say five is better. More than five doesn't really help.

Message 4 of 66
blindambition
Senior Contributor

As many as one can handle, and get best use. You obviously don't want to devalue other cards. This really is going to be individual based.

As stated above, you don't want to experience CLD or closure. Diversifying lenders and having some padding can help protect when a lender does AA.

Message 5 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on the individual. My spending habits/income don't warrant the necessity of lots of cards or high limits. Three is a good number for me, if I end up with Discover, Cash+ and Chase Freedom or Amex Cash Magnet @ $5k each I'll be content. 

I imagine the majority with an extensive list of cards and high limits have good reasons for wanting them and make use of their benefits. Thinking of $100k in available credit makes my eye twitch but that doesn't mean its not right for others. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 66
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

FICO doesn't care (or have a limit) on a person's credit. FICO cares only about utilization and would treat it the same if total credit limit was $1,000 or $100,000.

Each credit card issurer has thier "limit" (have no idea though what that is) All depends on income and debt.

The crazy high limits you see others have are aquired (sometimes not intentional as is in my case) over time.

I have 7 cards, (which is the most I see myself ever having at any one time), and it maximizes cash back on all my spend without needing spend on cards just to keep them.

Message 7 of 66
GrandBaker
Contributor

One. And make that an AMEX Centurion card Smiley Tongue

In all seriousness it depends on the person. Just like anything else there is a wide spectrum of comfort level from zero cards to 30+. I personally would like to have 2 ... a Visa/MC where my primary card (AMEX) is not accepted.

FICO and lenders care about many criteria but focus on payment history, current utilization and available credit limits (especially lenders) for future credit.

Message 8 of 66
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

That has nothing to do with how many credit cards someone needs or has. That was more based on the economy and the Covid Effect. 

Message 9 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I know what "Sync shutdown" is?

Message 10 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.