cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Nice of J. Crew

tag
Regular Contributor

How Nice of J. Crew

They sent me a notice that if I make a purchase between certain dates that they would not close my account from the lack of usage (coming very close to 2 years).

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: How Nice of J. Crew

that IS nice of them

most companies close without notice - and certainly before 1.5+ years has passed without use

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 8
Regular Contributor

Maybe the pandemic had something to do with it, or maybe they're just really nice.

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 3 of 8
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@10022016 wrote:

Maybe the pandemic had something to do with it, or maybe they're just really nice.

What state are you in? It could be that your state requires them to give you notice of potential closure due to inactivity. California is the first one that I think of. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 8
Regular Contributor

That's interesting. Do you have a link for that? I've only found:

"Not necessarily. Credit card companies aren’t required to give you any notice that they’re closing your account. The Credit Card Act of 2009 requires lenders and creditors to provide customers with 45 days’ notice of major changes to their account, but that doesn’t include card cancellation notification because of inactivity."

Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@10022016 wrote:

That's interesting. Do you have a link for that? I've only found:

"Not necessarily. Credit card companies aren’t required to give you any notice that they’re closing your account. The Credit Card Act of 2009 requires lenders and creditors to provide customers with 45 days’ notice of major changes to their account, but that doesn’t include card cancellation notification because of inactivity."

California Code, Civil Code - CIV § 1747.85

Unless requested by the cardholder, no card issuer shall cancel a credit card without having first given the cardholder 30 days' written notice of its intention to do so unless the cardholder is or has been within the last 90 days in default of payment or otherwise in violation of any provision of the agreement between the card issuer and the cardholder governing the cardholder's use of the credit card or unless the card issuer has evidence or reasonable belief that the cardholder is unable or unwilling to repay obligations incurred under the agreement or that an unauthorized use of the card may be made.

Nothing provided herein shall be construed to prohibit a card issuer from placing the account of a cardholder on inactive status if the cardholder has not used the card for a period in excess of 18 months or from requiring that cardholder, upon subsequent reuse of a card, to provide to the card issuer such updated information as will enable the card issuer to verify the current creditworthiness of the cardholder.

Not quite sure what inactive status means (presumably the account isn't closed but marked in some way) but needs to be 18 months of non-use

Message 6 of 8
Regular Contributor

That is a strange rule. Anyhow, I don't shop J. Crew really because my taste has changed, but they surely do give you a lot of credit, so I got myself a nice shirt, lol (discounted at that!). 

Message 7 of 8
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

That's exactly what I do why my JCrew card.  I've definitely moved on from most of their styles, but every 6-8 months I pick out something from the clearance section to buy to keep the account open...  And then every year on my birthday they give me $25 to spend on a $25 purchase with the card, so it works out.   Smiley Happy

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.