cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Often Do You Hit the LUV Button With CITI?

tag
jj10939
Regular Contributor

How Often Do You Hit the LUV Button With CITI?

I just requested a CLI with CITI about two months ago and it was approved, however I have paid off all CC debt since then and the button is now showing on my account home page like it used to when it was pretty much guaranteed it would be approved.

How long do you have to wait with CITI before requesting another CLI?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Hit the LUV Button With CITI?

Not exactly sure... However, I was approved for two CLI within 4 month period.

I would probably wait every 6 months.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 2 of 18
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

I was approved for 2 CLIs within 2 months recently. No hard pull. Just proceed with your request and on step 3 they will tell you if you are preapproved. If you asked for too much they will come back with a lesser preapproved amount. No hard pull. Step 4 will be a hard pull.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 3 of 18
android01
Valued Contributor

@OnTheRebound wrote:

I was approved for 2 CLIs within 2 months recently. No hard pull. Just proceed with your request and on step 3 they will tell you if you are preapproved. If you asked for too much they will come back with a lesser preapproved amount. No hard pull. Step 4 will be a hard pull.

OK, now I'm confused after reading another thread.  My assumption based on what you wrote is that you find out if you are preapproved at step 3, (instead of step 2) and if not, you can cancel? 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 4 of 18
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Yes. If you are not preapproved on step 3 (soft pull or no pull at all) you can cancel or continue to step 4, which will be a hard pull.

If you are preapproved in step 3 and are happy with the amount, quit and do nothing more. It is instant. If you are not happy with the CLI you have the option to continue to step 4 with a hard pull, which you may or may not get the increase you want.

ETA: Step 2 is to verify your information. You must continue to step 3 to see if you are approved.

Last month I requested $1K increase. Instantly approved. I canceled.

To test it, I went back and requested $5K. It came back with an offer of $2K. I took it.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
Message 5 of 18
android01
Valued Contributor

@OnTheRebound wrote:

Yes. If you are not preapproved on step 3 (soft pull or no pull at all) you can cancel or continue to step 4, which will be a hard pull.

If you are preapproved in step 3 and are happy with the amount, quit and do nothing more. It is instant. If you are not happy with the CLI you have the option to continue to step 4 with a hard pull, which you may or may not get the increase you want.

Thanks! I'm going to give it a shot. Smiley Happy

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 6 of 18
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Go for it. You have nothing to loose.

Read my edited post above.

Message 7 of 18
android01
Valued Contributor

I asked for a $3300 increase to bring me up to 15K and it countered with $1800.  Good enough, I'll take it!  CL is now $13,500. Smiley Very Happy

No credit report was pulled at all - hard or soft.

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 8 of 18
brian2220
Regular Contributor

I was told by a friend that citi offers clis to new accounts some times so i took a chance here is what I was told.

We regret that we cannot approve your request for a Credit Line Increase at this time. Your request was processed by the credit record we have on file, as well as a credit scoring system, which assigns a numerical value to various items on your credit card account(s). Your credit score did not meet our requirements, because:

Thank you for your request. Your account must be open for at least 6 months before we can consider granting a Credit Line Increase. You'll receive written confirmation of this message within 7 to 10 business days. During this evaluation, a credit report was not pulled on your account. Thank you for using our website.
Our decision was based in whole or in part on information already on file with us from one of the consumer-reporting agencies listed below. You have a right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to receive a free copy of your credit report if you request it within 60 days from the date of this notice. Please note that the agency played no part in our decision and will be unable to explain the reason your request was denied. If you find any incorrect or incomplete information in the report, you have the right to dispute the matter with the reporting agency by writing to:

EQUIFAX CREDIT INFORMATION SERVICES
5505 PEACHTREE DUNWOODY ROAD
P.O. BOX 740241
ATLANTA GA 30374
PHONE: 1-800-685-1111
You will receive a written confirmation of this message within 7 to 10 business days. Thank you for using our website.

Review your rights through the Federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act.
My Cards
BBVA/Compass 2/12 $ 5000 ----- Chase Freedom 12/10 $3000 ---- Cabela's 1/12 $3000 -----US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards 6/11 $3000 ----Walmart Discover 10/11 $2814 ------ Discover More 11/11 $2500 ----- Amazon Store Card 2/11 $2100---- Amex Zync 4/11 ---- Citi Dividend Platinum Select 3/11 $1950 ---- BofA Cash Rewards 12/11 $1000
Message 9 of 18
ferrari
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately OnTheRebound is wrong! Maybe it worked for him but that's not always the case and yes you have something to lose which is an unnecessary inquiry.

I just tried this and I got a message that the request was reffered to the credit department for review. I know this is going to be a hard pull as it happened before. So others who read this post DON'T go around clicking on that "LUV" button. Instead call and speak to a CSR and ask if it is going to be a soft or a hard which I did before with on pull.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.