Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Often Is It Just Luck?

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

How Often Is It Just Luck?

Everything else being equal...

***One gets denied for Discover it for inquiries, and one gets approved with 14 inquiries?

***One gets denied for BCE for short history with 2 years AAoA, and one gets approved with < a year history?

***One gets denied for CSP due to low limits on other cards with one card $3500, and one gets approved with high limit of $2500?

***One gets denied for Freedom with a 730 CS, and one gets approved with a 640?

All these scenarios have been posted here on myFICO. So, is it sometimes the luck of the draw? Are good results sometimes out of our control? Thanks for your comments.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: How Often Is It Just Luck?

@indiolatino61 wrote:

***One gets denied for Discover it for inquiries, and one gets approved with 14 inquiries?

***One gets denied for BCE for short history with 2 years AAoA, and one gets approved with < a year history?

***One gets denied for CSP due to low limits on other cards with one card $3500, and one gets approved with high limit of $2500?

All these scenarios have been posted here on myFICO. So, is it sometimes the luck of the draw? Are good results sometimes out of our control? Thanks for your comments.

you really cant say everything bening equal because it will never be equal there will always be something that the other has but the other doesnt. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 24
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

you really cant say everything bening equal because it will never be equal there will always be something that the other has but the other doesnt. 

Well, I say everything else being equal according to what the posters say. I have no way of knowing what the posters are omitting or downright lying about. But, according to the posts, it seems some people are just "lucky."Smiley Wink

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 24
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

it's all about how to play your card right.....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 24
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

there will always be something that is diffrent, age, location(i heard that some banks wont give you a card if you live somewhere that might be risky), Limits, past baddies. the odds of everything being equal for two people in regards to credit are so high. do you see what i am saying? there ahs to be something diffrent in order for them to get it or not. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 5 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Well, I say everything else being equal according to what the posters say. I have no way of knowing what the posters are omitting or downright lying about. But, according to the posts, it seems some people are just "lucky."Smiley Wink

Right, so a choice of conclusions:

1) Some people are lucky

2) Not all the details were revealed in the postings, perhaps because the posters didn't know all that was relevant.  So in your case of  someone denied for multiple inqs and someone with many more being accepted, it could be # of inqs vs length of credit history, the inqs were too closely spaced/recent, came from deep subprime lenders etc

Once it goes to recon, I think luck and/or skill matters more.  If you get a friendly UW, things can happen, whereas one in a bad mood or by the book, might choose to stick with the original rejection.

Message 6 of 24
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@indiolatino61 wrote:

Right, so a choice of conclusions:

1) Some people are lucky

2) Not all the details were revealed in the postings, perhaps because the posters didn't know all that was relevant.  So in your case of  someone denied for multiple inqs and someone with many more being accepted, it could be # of inqs vs length of credit history, the inqs were too closely spaced/recent, came from deep subprime lenders etc

Once it goes to recon, I think luck and/or skill matters more.  If you get a friendly UW, things can happen, whereas one in a bad mood or by the book, might choose to stick with the original rejection.

Thank you all for your comments. Why can't credit be simple...lol. Smiley Tongue You spend, you pay on time, you get more credit...but then again, what in this life is simple?Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 24
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

People who get denied for inquiries is cuz their credit files are so thin and that means they don't have enough experience with credit. It all depends on everyone's credit reports and the way the computer underwriter evaluates your application.... But im sure the more thicker your credit file is the less inquiries will impact your approval odds
Message 8 of 24
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

But there are so many other factors that aren't being mentioned like income, utilization, if you have applied for a lot credit very recently, whether you recon and are successful, etc.  Every situation is different.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 9 of 24
NewBreed
New Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@indiolatino61 wrote:

To be honest with you, i have like 17 inquires on my CR and i was just approved for Chase Freedom after months upon months of denial believe it or not while another person on the forums got denied.... i think it is just luck of the draw, but i think you gotta take certain measures to consider it lucky, for instance i went the back door route and got approved after 2 times getting denied in 4 months, i was shocked Chase gave me a 2k CL

Cap One Cash Back UnSecured: 1.5K
Chase Freedom: 2k
Chase Slate: 2k
Discover IT: 1K.
AmEx Green: NPSL
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.