cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How bad have I damaged my credit by applying for 6 credit/store cards in a month?

tag
angel22
Established Member

How bad have I damaged my credit by applying for 6 credit/store cards in a month?

I was approved for every card except one and I'm Not going to apply for anything else for a year. How soon do I get my lost points back? Thanks!
Capital One: $4500, Chase Slate: $1500, Barclaycard $1300, Bank of America: $600, VicSecret:$750, Walmart Discover:$2000, JCP:$1000, Amazon:$1900, and a few more store cards. As of 2/4/14 my FICO is 645. My Goal FICO:700
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: How bad have I damaged my credit by applying for 6 credit/store cards in a month?

@angel22 wrote:
I was approved for every card except one and I'm Not going to apply for anything else for a year. How soon do I get my lost points back? Thanks!

Depends.  We need a bit of info from you. 

What's your credit situation?  What's your score(s)?  What's your utilization? Any baddies on your reports?  Which cards did you apply for and what are the limits?

Can't speak for others, but in my own situation the GENERAL rule of thumb has been, lose about 10 points for each new inquiry, but gain 15 points back in a few months with a new trade line reporting.  Again, it really depends on what your starting point is.  I just picked up 2 new trade lines, but it barely affected my scores -- dropped only 5 points for the inquiry (total of 10 down).  Once $18K in additional credit report, my utilization will drop, and my score will increase.  The same thing COULD happen to you as well.  Just depends on what your starting point is !

Message 2 of 8
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Re: How bad have I damaged my credit by applying for 6 credit/store cards in a month?

The good thing about new accounts and inquirys is that they loose there sting relativley fast compared to other dings in the credit game. 

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 3 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

The good thing about new accounts and inquirys is that they loose there sting relativley fast compared to other dings in the credit game. 

+1 - definitely !

Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

6-12 months typically but it does depend on the rest of your file.

Won't matter long term and if you have a use for the cards it can be beneficial. I am opening 5 cards this month, am not overly worried about it as I'm sitting on my hands for at least a year at this point.

        
Message 5 of 8
angel22
Established Member

I'm rebuilding my credit. I have 1 collection from 5 years ago that popped up recently on my report and 2 student loans in good standing. I haven't had any other revolving credit. The cards are: Capital One MasterCard Cl:$500, Walmart Cl:$250,Victoria Secret Cl:$350, Kohl's Cl:$400, and JCPenny Cl:$200. The card I was declined for was Wells Fargo Visa Rewards card. They gave me a pre approval for their college card but I'm not in college anymore,so I applied (stupid me) for the rewards card and they offered me their secured card. They gave me a TU score of 624. That's all I know right now. Thank you! Sorry about errors, I'm on my phone. I also just checked my FICO score and it says 654. I have no idea what my score was before all the apps.

Capital One: $4500, Chase Slate: $1500, Barclaycard $1300, Bank of America: $600, VicSecret:$750, Walmart Discover:$2000, JCP:$1000, Amazon:$1900, and a few more store cards. As of 2/4/14 my FICO is 645. My Goal FICO:700
Message 6 of 8
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

When I opened 2 account back in October my FICO score actually increased a month later.

So each credit profile is unique in it's own situation.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 7 of 8
bribro
Valued Contributor

As others have said, it depends on your credit profile. If your utilization was high prior to getting these new cards, the exanded credit will likely help your score. If you have a small number of cards, the new cards will likely help your score as well. At the same time, you will get dinged with the hard inquiries and lower AAoA.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.