How bad is the Credit One Bank card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How bad is the Credit One Bank card?

22 REPLIES 22
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: How bad is the Credit One Bank card?

Very subprime,  much better cards out there. Avoid at all cost IMHO

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 23
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Pretty bad.  They could be useful if your credit rating is in the sewer and they're the only one who will approve.  However, once you get to the point where you can get better cards, get rid of them.

Their fee structure makes them almost impossible to use on actual purchases without spiralling into a terrible pit of debt.  If you're rebuilding, you can use it to establish payment history.  Put a stick of gum on it per month and pay your bill in full.  That'll help get your score up to the point you can get cards that are actually useful.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok to rebuild but not to keep for long.

What are your data points? maybe we can guide you to the right cards.

Message 4 of 23
kiea
Frequent Contributor

I have had this card for 10 months now and I haven't had any problems as far as payments or reporting information to the credit bureaus.  Although, there is 3 main issues with cards:  the interest rate is high..25.15%, the payments take 5 days to post unless you pay by credit card and if you do that there is a $9.95 fee, & they don't really give credit increases.  This card is really only good if you want to increase your score so you can get something better in the future.

I have seen some people complain about the customer service department but thankfully I haven't had to contact them yet so I can't comment on that.

In my opinion if your credit score is good enough I will go with Capital One or Discover.  There is more opportunity for growth and those cards offer more perks.

Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me and you are basically in the same position.  I am coming up on month 11 with Credit One and plan on closing it.  Right now, I do have a secured with Discover but no other credit cards and I am wondering if I need to apply to some of the store cards.  I haven't made the plunge yet.  

Message 6 of 23
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Your scores are not bad.  Did you try Capital One or Barclays?

Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 7 of 23
Goal_Getter
New Contributor

I literally just cut mine up and will be closing it after i pay it off. It was helpful with my credit rebuild but i have gotten much better cards since then. Including, discover, AMEX, and capital one. It’s only good for rebuilding like the other posters stated.
Starting Score: 550
Current Scores: EQ 658 EX 651 TU 669
Goal Score: 700
Message 8 of 23
toostoosh
Valued Member

Credit One Bank is pretty much good for re-building. They have monthly fees and the interest rates are pretty high. I've been with them for 8 years, and I have a Visa ($1900) and MC ($900) with them. I recently just paid off all of my CCs. I called them to cancel, but since they didn't want to lose me as a cardholder, the Rep waived my monthly fees on both cards, and even credited back the fees that I had paid this year. So now, I have two cards with negative balances due to the credits. I only kept them open because it's not hurting me, and it helps with util, if needed. So, atleast they have good customer service. 

UTIL as of 3/2019 - 9% | FICO Scores - (As of 3/2019) - EX 712 | TU 734 | EQ 727
Retail and Store Credit: Synchrony HOME - $4000 | Children's Place - $1K | Saks - $2250 | Neiman Marcus - $1500 | Ulta - $1K | JCP - $700 | Lowe's - $5300 | TJ Maxx - $900 | Macy's - $2000 | AE - $1650 | Tires Plus - $1400 | Abercrombie - $850 | Gap - $2500 | Old Navy - $2500 | VS - $1850 | BP - $900 | Chevron - $1750 | Citgo - $500 | Amazon - $6K | Belk - $300 | Bloomingdales - $300 | Express - $750 | Kay's - $5100 | CareCredit - $9800 | Walmart - $1600 | Discount Tire - $1700 | Sunoco - $300 | Kohl's - $600 | Zales - $1300 | Navy Fed CLOC - $500 | NewEgg - $1800
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

They have a pretty high AF. The VISA is higher than the MC, and at least for me the API was lower for the MC than the VISA. But, instead of charging it all at one time, they break it up over the year. So, you will always have a balance on your card(s). I had the VISA and the MC. I rarely used them and they rarely gave CLI's, when they did give a CLI they charge a fee to process the CLI and it goes on to your credit card.

Use the card(s) to rebuild your credit and always look for a better card. Most of the major card companies have sites where you can go to get pre-qualified with no HP on your credit. Check them regularly.

Use this link, https://www.doctorofcredit.com/view-personalized-credit-card-offers/

Good luck!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.