cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I convince my parents to add me as an AU?

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

How can I convince my parents to add me as an AU?

Well first off, how easy is it to add me as one?

I know they have a chase card and an generic discover card. A few others too but IDK what exactly they are.

Their arguments are...

1. If I become an AU, and screw up my credit, it will screw up theirs. Is this true? Even though I would be on their AU, I would never use their cards.

2. The other argument is that their credit is not the best (yet I know they have at least 5+ CCs), and adding me as an AU would hurt me. I'm pretty sure thats false.

What's a compelling argument to have them add me as an AU? 

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: How can I convince my parents to add me as an AU?

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

I know they have a chase card and an generic discover card. A few others too but IDK what exactly they are.

Their arguments are...

1. If I become an AU, and screw up my credit, it will screw up theirs. Is this true? Even though I would be on their AU, I would never use their cards.

2. The other argument is that their credit is not the best (yet I know they have at least 5+ CCs), and adding me as an AU would hurt me. I'm pretty sure thats false.

If they don't want to add you then you have to accept it an move on.  

If their credit is not excellent or even better than good, there no point in adding a bad TL to your cr. 

Message 2 of 19
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Their arguments are...

1. If I become an AU, and screw up my credit, it will screw up theirs. Is this true? Even though I would be on their AU, I would never use their cards. This is not true...only the history of their card goes on your CR, not the reverse.

2. The other argument is that their credit is not the best (yet I know they have at least 5+ CCs), and adding me as an AU would hurt me. I'm pretty sure thats false. Do they have any high limit cards with low utility? Accounts like those would help you more rather than a low limit or maxed out account.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 3 of 19
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Will them adding the good cards (low uti), backdate and suddenly boost my score? All of these cards they have had for at least 10 years. I think the discover account is 20 years old.

Question is, as long as I DON'T use their accounts (which I won't), if i screw up my credit, will it effect them?

TU Fico 626

Message 4 of 19
Rackham94
Established Contributor

You are right about the no usage on card. I guess it depends on your relationship with them it just sounds like they are not so sure about the idea. Unfortunately, you might have to try and get a secured card or Capital One newcomer until you have some credit built and yes their history on the card along if they ever been late will show up on your CR including age of account.
Message 5 of 19
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Ok. I talked to them again. They said they wouldn't mind doing it (maybe they are starting to realize I'm maturing and being better with my money).

However, they said if they were to pass away (they are getting up their in age), and I was the AU, would I end up paying their bills?

None of their cards are maxed out, in fact some of them have high CL, but they have a large amount of money on them (Say $2k bal on a $20k limit), if they passed, I don't want to be stuck with at least a $6k balance across all cards.

TU Fico 626

Message 6 of 19
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

They have never, ever been late. They said they would pay their CC bill before buying food.

So if I "inherited" their cards by them adding me as an AU, would I inherit their credit score, or does a AU count less than a normal user?

TU Fico 626

Message 7 of 19
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Are you only interested in the boost a long postive tradeline will give your score?

You can ask them add you but tell them they can keep the card.  Tell them you dont want it or dont want to use it. You just would like the tradeline itself to help you establish better credit.

This way, they do not need to worry about additional spending on the account (if thats the only concern they have atm), and you get a postive tradeline on your report.

Then later, should they decide to give it to you, or you need it, they already have the card.

An option anyway.

Message 8 of 19
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

That is the plan.

However, should they add all the cards or only the ones with util below 7%?

TU Fico 626

Message 9 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

That is the plan.

However, should they add all the cards or only the ones with util below 7%?

You only need 1-2 if you are establishing your own credit.  They should be older than your TLs, free of derogs with low util. Keep in mind lenders like Chase will not consider AU history. 

No, you will not inherit their credit score only the credit history ( in some cases) of the tL. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.