Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get these cards to grow?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I get these cards to grow?

I have several cards with low limits that are all new within the past 2 years. I'd like to grow them but unsure what kind of usage and payments to put on each to get them to grow. I pay them all in full each month. My monthly spending is between $3000-$4000. I'm not as concerned about rewards at this point, just want the limits to grow.  

Capital One QS- 500 limit (started at $300 limit)

Capital One- 500 limit (started at $300)

Capital One Walmart- 300 limit 

BofA Cash Rewards- 1000 limit (not eligible for increase until July)

Amex EveryDay- 500 limit 

Discover It- 500 limit (just opened)

Navy Federal nRewards- 2500 (started at 500->2000->2500)

I also have VS and Children's Place cards through Comenity at 500 limits each and CareCredit with a 950 limit, but I'm not as concerned about growing the limits on those. 

My FICOs across the board are lingering around 680. I expect that to increase soon because I just got a 30 day late and my last collection removed as well as paid off a $4000 balance. 

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How can I get these cards to grow?

CapOne low limits are usually bucketed so you'd probably have to spend more on them/hit luv button, or apply for a new card from them.

Amex - 3x CLI after 61 days or 6 months?

Discover - luv button each month

NFCU - They give higher limits to next card after your first

Synchrony cards - Luv button once a month

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have several cards with low limits that are all new within the past 2 years. I'd like to grow them but unsure what kind of usage and payments to put on each to get them to grow. I pay them all in full each month. My monthly spending is between $3000-$4000. I'm not as concerned about rewards at this point, just want the limits to grow.  

Capital One QS- 500 limit (started at $300 limit)

Capital One- 500 limit (started at $300)

Capital One Walmart- 300 limit 

BofA Cash Rewards- 1000 limit (not eligible for increase until July)

Amex EveryDay- 500 limit 

Discover It- 500 limit (just opened)

Navy Federal nRewards- 2500 (started at 500->2000->2500)

I also have VS and Children's Place cards through Comenity at 500 limits each and CareCredit with a 950 limit, but I'm not as concerned about growing the limits on those. 

My FICOs across the board are lingering around 680. I expect that to increase soon because I just got a 30 day late and my last collection removed as well as paid off a $4000 balance. 

The #1 thing you can probably do to make them eventually grow is to garden and let your accounts age. Too much too quickly often leads to being stuck with toy limits. 

Note: I say "eventually" because I don't think there's going to be much in the way of CLIs for anyone in the near future due to current economic troubles. But if you refrain from new inquiries/accounts and keep your utilization low, you'll be ready when lenders start loosening back up.

Message 3 of 24
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

How is the OP running 3,000 to 4,000 of spend a month on cards which assumes at least a 100k income yet the limits you have is for someone making 20k a year? I only run that much spend on my cards when on vacation and I make far more than 100k.

Is this business expenses? Seems like we are missing a piece here. Returning from Chapter 7?

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 4 of 24
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

How is the OP running 3,000 to 4,000 of spend a month on cards which assumes at least a 100k income yet the limits you have is for someone making 20k a year? I only run that much spend on my cards when on vacation and I make far more than 100k.

Is this business expenses? Seems like we are missing a piece here. Returning from Chapter 7?

I can't speak for what the OP has for income but in general the following applies:

Income is NOT used in credit scoring

Low credit scores results in low credit limits 

Frequently there are posts on this forum from someone making >100k and yet they can't get limits above 1000 because of low scores. 

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Citylights18 wrote:

My household income is just over 100k. I have five kids all in extracurriculars and 3 out of 5 requiring childcare (which we are able to pay with our cards). Groceries alone run us nearly $1000/month. My husband is an AU on all my cards and uses them primarily as well. Add in gas, subscriptions, the occasional eating out and entertainment extras, revolving bills like internet, utilities, etc, and you've got spending at 3000-4000/month. 

If you really want to know, in 2016 my infant son was severely attacked by a dog. I left my job to care for him and our income was cut by 70%. And I wasn't making as much as I am now before having to leave my job. At that time we had limits totaling almost 40k. We had minimal savings (biggest mistake) and relied on our credit cards to survive. The result- collections, chargeoffs, late payments, etc. We narrowly avoided a bankruptcy. I've been rebuilding since and my income has gradually increased. Unfortunately, my current limits are a reflection of my poor credit management in the past. But I'm getting there. 

Side note- I am in the garden now for the next year at least. 

Message 6 of 24
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

My household income is just over 100k. I have five kids all in extracurriculars and 3 out of 5 requiring childcare (which we are able to pay with our cards). Groceries alone run us nearly $1000/month. My husband is an AU on all my cards and uses them primarily as well. Add in gas, subscriptions, the occasional eating out and entertainment extras, revolving bills like internet, utilities, etc, and you've got spending at 3000-4000/month. 

If you really want to know, in 2016 my infant son was severely attacked by a dog. I left my job to care for him and our income was cut by 70%. And I wasn't making as much as I am now before having to leave my job. At that time we had limits totaling almost 40k. We had minimal savings (biggest mistake) and relied on our credit cards to survive. The result- collections, chargeoffs, late payments, etc. We narrowly avoided a bankruptcy. I've been rebuilding since and my income has gradually increased. Unfortunately, my current limits are a reflection of my poor credit management in the past. But I'm getting there. 

Wow best of luck. I didn't see your FICO scores in your signature block which makes it obvious it was a rebuild.

Sorry about that.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

I applaud your success thus far! Hang in there, and you'll get to where you want to be soon Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CapOne low limits are usually bucketed so you'd probably have to spend more on them/hit luv button, or apply for a new card from them.

Any idea amount of spending to devote to them? Luv button isn't very loving.

Amex - 3x CLI after 61 days or 6 months?

Just tried last week. Denial stated decline due to my credit score. I should have waited for my reports to update, and now I get to wait longer. 

Discover - luv button each month

NFCU - They give higher limits to next card after your first

Synchrony cards - Luv button once a month

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  Thank you! Getting there slowly but surely. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.