cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can gain cash back when merchant doesn't take credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How can gain cash back when merchant doesn't take credit cards?

My flooring contractor didn't like to take CC's either.  Many of these guys are small business owners and the fees on a $10k or $25k swipe is a good ding to their profits for the job.  It makes sense.

He eventually went ahead and took the CC for a 1% fee, I used a 2% card so netting 1% net was better than nothing.  I also told him I needed to use a CC AFTER he had already bid on the job - again not really fair to a small business owner looking to make a certain margin after the bid process.  My contractor had a legit business, was insured, certified, did a better job than the big huge companies.  Around here many smaller independent contractors don't take CC's.

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you should never pay for labor up front - that is usually a scam.  As my contractor finished each week, I would write him a check for the work that was done.  I did have to come up with the money for the supplies up front (hence the CC need at first).  He got a better discount than I could have received going somewhere else and using my card.

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

A business trying to avoid taxes is a business I would stay away from.
Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the contractor is accepting checks, I don't think he/she is trying to avoid taxes.  I would still look for a different contractor, though.

Message 14 of 28
Peanutbutter
Established Member

Re: How can I gain cash back when merchant doesn't take credit cards?

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, work calls.  

A lot of you raised the legitmate concerns that the contractor may be trying to evade paying taxes, does shoddy work etc.    In regard to the scope of work (foundation repair/helical piles) and type of contractor (structural engineering), its not your typical drywall and paint stuff.  NJ is chock-full of crappy contractors (we're still dealing with the one who originally caused the issue, different guy though) and in this niche aspect of residental construction, these guys are the good ones, they just happen to not take CC's.   Also, no one is getting paid 12k upfront, its the cost of this portion of the project and purchasing materials seperately isn't an option in this type of work.  They are custom manufactured materials unfortunately. 

Thanks for confirming the no rewards on BT's, I had a feeling that was the case but confirmation is helpful.  

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Peanutbutter wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, work calls.  

A lot of you raised the legitmate concerns that the contractor may be trying to evade paying taxes, does shoddy work etc.    In regard to the scope of work (foundation repair/helical piles) and type of contractor (structural engineering), its not your typical drywall and paint stuff.  NJ is chock-full of crappy contractors (we're still dealing with the one who originally caused the issue, different guy though) and in this niche aspect of residental construction, these guys are the good ones, they just happen to not take CC's.   Also, no one is getting paid 12k upfront, its the cost of this portion of the project and purchasing materials seperately isn't an option in this type of work.  They are custom manufactured materials unfortunately. 

Thanks for confirming the no rewards on BT's, I had a feeling that was the case but confirmation is helpful.  

Thanks everyone for the help!!

You're welcome. However, you should ask that contractor how he'd feel if he brought a credit card to a store and intended to use it, but then they told him they don't accept credit cards. The contractor may open up their eyes a little and realize how ridiculously dumb it is to not take credit cards in 2016.

Message 16 of 28
Peanutbutter
Established Member

@ Mountain

It might be worth it to reach out and see if they'd be willing to figure something out.   It just kills me to see that amount of money not receive a CB/Miles reward Smiley Sad 

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Often people in a niche market can set whatever terms they want.  They only have so much time or product, and if someone doesn't like their terms, another customer will come along who does.  That's just how it goes in a seller's market.

Message 18 of 28
Peanutbutter
Established Member

@ Daisy,

Yes, with this type of work that is essentially the case.  Good for them, not so good for me.    Hopefully they'll be amendable to CC usage this go around.  Work has to be done either way, just wanted to squeak out some extra bang for my buck. 

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Often people in a niche market can set whatever terms they want.  They only have so much time or product, and if someone doesn't like their terms, another customer will come along who does.  That's just how it goes in a seller's market.

While you are indeed correct, it is not exactly a smart buyer's market out there.

You still have people willint to pay for repair work in CASH, and don't even request a reciept.

With cash, the contractor can claim they didn't get paid. There's also no disputing the cost of services when work wasn't done correctly.

Sure you can try to take the contractor to court if they didn't do the work correctly, but then again "they didn't get paid anyways." Right?

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.