Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i join the NFCU?

tag
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

How can i join the NFCU?

i am not a member of the armed forces just  civilian, however my cousin is in the coast guard... is there anyway fpr me to join the NFCU????  i see everyone talking aboput there good cc's and am interested in trying to open one up and get a good limit....   any feedback on how to get into the NFCU let me know i wonder if they have any programs like Penfed does to get in....
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: How can i join the NFCU?

Hmm, looks like your cousin is eligible, but unless you're roomies, you're still not eligible:

http://www.nfcu.com/about/membership_eligible.html

So far, it looks like you have to be in one of the active duty, employee, or contractor categories, or a 1st degree relation of someone who is. Smiley Sad

eta: or "household members"

And by 1st degree relation, I'm including grandchildren and grandparents. But not uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-27-2009 06:07 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 11
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

well, if i can get him to join, and then his dad, and then et my mom in, think that will work? all they need to do is open savings accounts?
Message 3 of 11
MattH
Senior Contributor

@y0rascal wrote:
i am not a member of the armed forces just  civilian, however my cousin is in the coast guard... is there anyway fpr me to join the NFCU????  i see everyone talking aboput there good cc's and am interested in trying to open one up and get a good limit....   any feedback on how to get into the NFCU let me know i wonder if they have any programs like Penfed does to get in....

http://www.navyfcu.org/about/membership_eligible.html

Unlike PenFed, they don't offer the alternative of paying a small fee to join the National Military Family Association and thereby qualify, and a cousin is not a close enough relative, you need a closer relative who is already a member.  In my case, my father served in the US Navy but he is not a member of NFCU, so because I do not fall into an eligible category myself I'd first have to persuade Dad to join NFCU and then join...

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 4 of 11
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

possbility of opening a joint account with him?
Message 5 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

y0rascal wrote:
well, if i can get him to join, and then his dad, and then et my mom in, think that will work? all they need to do is open savings accounts?

LOL, so I'm assuming that:
* he joins, from his status as a Coast Guard member
* his father joins, as a parent of a member
* his sister (your mom) joins, as a sibling of a member
* you join, as a son/ daughter of a member

It sounds like herding cats to me Smiley Very Happy , but it's technically feasible. It's certainly no worse than my supposed route in: husband's father (who died on active duty in 1948) --> DH's mom --> DH --> me.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 11
MattH
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@y0rascal wrote:

LOL, so I'm assuming that:
* he joins, from his status as a Coast Guard member
* his father joins, as a parent of a member
* his sister (your mom) joins, as a sibling of a member
* you join, as a son/ daughter of a member

It sounds like herding cats to me Smiley Very Happy , but it's technically feasible. It's certainly no worse than my supposed route in: husband's father (who died on active duty in 1948) --> DH's mom --> DH --> me.

Why not simply join PenFed instead?

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 7 of 11
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

i want to join both but from the looks o it i might not be able to get the penfed rewards  right away, i have a 700 score and a pretty beefy clean credit profile last account opened was last year in feb my high limit is 9.6k followed by 7.5k to my lowest 1k
Message 8 of 11
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

A few posts up, a deceased person was mentioned.  Was that person a member before 1948?

I ask this because I joined PenFed and wrote down my father, who passed away in 2000 but served as a Navy lieutenant in the Korean war.   At PenFed, I don't believe you need to have a relative who actually joined, just a relative who served in the military.  Later I contacted them to make sure I filled out the form correctly and they told me that you cannot join through a deceased person, and that my membership may be challenged.

I'm not worried about that because my husband's living father also served in the Navy, and there are other ways to join PenFed, anyway.

But for NFCU, can you join through a family member who was never a NFCU member but served in the Navy and is now deceased?

Moderator Emerita

ChesterPDexter wrote:

A few posts up, a deceased person was mentioned.  Was that person a member before 1948?

I ask this because I joined PenFed and wrote down my father, who passed away in 2000 but served as a Navy lieutenant in the Korean war.   At PenFed, I don't believe you need to have a relative who actually joined, just a relative who served in the military.  Later I contacted them to make sure I filled out the form correctly and they told me that you cannot join through a deceased person, and that my membership may be challenged.

I'm not worried about that because my husband's living father also served in the Navy, and there are other ways to join PenFed, anyway.

But for NFCU, can you join through a family member who was never a NFCU member but served in the Navy and is now deceased?

Back when there was a frenzy of people joining Navy, someone mentioned that there was a way to do it. A Navy CSR was working with them. You'd have to know the person's ID# (military didn't use SSN's then.)

I'm not convinced that it was doable, but it seemed like someone was trying. I never fooled with it; USAA and PenFed are fine for me.

It's so easy to join PenFed through the NMFA and now the Red Cross --I never even bothered trying to figure out a different way.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.