cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did that moderator guy here and others get 24 to 32 to 40+ credit cards? any tips please?

tag
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

Re: How did that moderator guy here and others get 24 to 32 to 40+ credit cards? any tips please?

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@UH_HUH wrote:

I had to look on my Experian report to see how many I had.

62 open 14 closed. 25 opened in the last calendar year. 

54 HP's on Ex :-) Last two credit cards opened 6 weeks ago

Lowes and Ebay. 5K each. Over 570K in tradelines. Went down some since

Synchrony went bat shi* crazy :-) I only started seriously collecting them a few

years ago. 

To answer your question,you get that many by apping alot ;-)

Cheers

@UH_HUH, Well you got me beat by far on the InqsSmiley Wink

You have a few more open TL's than Me, and thanks to SinkChrony, I have a few more closed than youSmiley LOL

Take care my friend, see you at the poker gameSmiley Happy

(Don't forget the two bowls)

Capital One starter card to open,Jacks or better.Visa Siggy Max raise.

And if ya bet a Synchrony card I will know you're bluffing @M_Smart007 

Smiley Very Happy You allways make me laugh buddy :-)

Cheers

Message 81 of 112
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: How did that moderator guy here and others get 24 to 32 to 40+ credit cards? any tips please?

Is your fico score north of 700?  Try for an American Express card,  perhaps US bank, have you recieved 6 or less cards in the last 2 years?  Try for a Chase card? Freedom, or Freedom unlimited. 

If your score is above 650 and you have some credit experience, try for an American Express charge card, fairly easy to get but need to pay in full monthly. 

600 or less, have few if any existing accounts the next section is for you

In normal times its not difficult, just takes time.  During these times its possible but will require more time. You don't want to spook a lender, they will close out all your cards they have issued. Then you wasted your HP, and got nothing.  Shopping Cart trick method is a good way,  search for it on here, basicly you go to a website that has a credit card backed by comenity, and sign up for an account, put a couple items in your cart, and click checkout, if they like your credit enough they will pop up a pre-approved dialog box, if you accept you usually get the card with a small limit, no HP, only a new account shows up.  Limit your self one or two of these deals every 6 months. In the past some have applied for 4-6 or even more, and woke up with all the accounts closed. Then pick out a couple cards backed by syncrony, yes they will be a HP, but they are prety easy to get, and will grow with you. Amazon store card, Lowes are a couple of my favorites. 

Is capitalone in your wallet, they might make a good start. 

if they turn you down, do you have a friend or family member that has a Capital One card, ask them to add you as an authorized user, they will have the option not to send you a card, tell them to use that option, you don't want the card only the line on your credit report. In 3-6 months this is enough to get credit card offers from Capital One so you will have a credit card of you own. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 82 of 112
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@CaliCreditNoob  ... Once I established what my true credit goals were, @Anonymous set me straight and helped me realize that spacing out applications and gardening were how to achieve what I wanted  ... (high scores and high limits with fewer cards)

I should also clarify that you can still apply for and have LOTS of cards and still get high limits and maintain high scores, however those people usually have a LONG credit history and THICK profile. When you're new in the game (like me), slow and steady is how you get there.

+1   For me, it's never been about the NUMBER of cards.  I've had credit for over 35 years.  If I had added a potentially reasonable average of 4 cards every year over all that time, I would have over 140 cards!! Smiley Surprised   But so what??  The one with the most cards doesn't win!  I didn't want numbers.  But that is one major answer: TIME is what it takes to build a huge number or cards. 

And what is the point of more and more cards?  More cards won't raise my credit score after I get above just a few.   Credit limits are not money in my pocket; they are actually potential DEBTS and liabilities.  Some people can't handle having the temptation to run up large bills that they can't pay.    They aren't going to impress anybody; nobody sees my entire credit history in a snapshot, save for an occassional lender's manual review or a signature on My Fico.  They can be a hassle; each account needs some attention to make sure cards are used, transactions are accurate, bills are paid, no fraud is commited.   In some cases, as pointed out in the thread, too much credit may keep you from getting new cards that you really want more and can use.  

For me, it's about the QUALITY, not the QUANTITY.  And it's about having cards that I can benefit from based on my financial situation.

I currently have 18 cards in my signature.  Over all my years with credit, I've closed many more cards than you see here.   A few years ago, I culled my card list down to simplify and get rid of cards that served no good purpose.  I made lists of my cards, scored them, and kept the cards that were oldest (4 over 20 years), had the best rewards for my spending, had the best benefits, had the highest credit limits, or had the lowest APRs.  After that, I believe I only had 8 cards about three years ago and much lower limits.  Since then, I've added some great cards that give me much better rewards than I had previously, better benefits, lower APRs and higher limits.  Plus, many had SUBs as well.  Win-win.  But there was a purpose to my app'ing.  I study the lenders, the cards, their competitors, and read all the fine print before I pick a target card.  I avoid applying in the heat of the moment.   I usually plan for months before I act on a new card. 

My philosophy is what @KLEXH25 said, but I'll paraphase and add to it a bit.  My goal is to build a selected portfolio of higher credit-limit cards from a diverse group of quality lenders with industry-leading rewards and benefits that fit my spending and lifestyle. 

I'm fortunate to be in that group that @KLEXH25 referred to, with a thick file and high income which has allowed me to maintain an 800+ score while adding new cards.   I usually suggest no more than one new card every six months for most profiles, and that will usually keep your progress stable while preventing denials due to excessive credit-seeking, even from conservative lenders like Chase or US Bank.  

And if you move too fast, even seasoned profiles like mine can get a denial for too many new accounts, because it's happened to me recently!   Slow and steady wins the race.  And the race is a marathon, not a sprint.  Pace yourself. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 83 of 112
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@CaliCreditNoob wrote:

How did that moderator guy here and others get 24 to 32 to 40+ credit cards? any tips please?  What is the FASTEST route to achieve a rapid 18 to 30 credit cards? aka I don't want to become an old man or senior citizen before this happens.

As a Moderator Emeritus guy with a lot of cards, I would say that it takes time.   When I joined the Forum about seven years ago, I had an Orchard Bank card, a CreditOne card, and a JC Penney card to my name, and I wanted to learn how to get them to grow.   I learned a lot about what affects the scoring algorithms and how I could actively affect them.    That's really what lead to my growth overall.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 84 of 112
slickwidit
Established Contributor

28 active accounts and 1 closure so far this year. I expect more closures for lack of use. Like many have said in this thread, you have position yourself for the cards that make sense for you. The total number doesn't matter. I've axed about 10 cards since I've actually started posting on the boards and that is because they served no purpose. For example, I have 2 cap1 cards that are maxed out at 3.3K each and have not grown over 3 years. I keep them for international travel because they will never fail and you never know when an emergency will arise.  There are about 8-10 more cards I will close because as the cards I really want/have grow, then I won't have any use for them. I think I'm half way done with my rebuild from BK7 from 2014. my scores are all low 700s and my July of 2021 I expect them to be closer to 800 which is my goal. I intend on getting their with CLI growth, gardening and lower my Utility (should be 0 by Dec 2020)... Now, if Amex opens up and let my slide in I will have to change my approach because this is the only thing missing from my arsenal. 

Just take your time, Identify what your goals are, come up with a plan and execute the best you can because life happens Smiley Happy.

my .02 cents

PS: I need a siggy lol

"Achieving your goal is great and everything.. But The journey is where all the amazing stuff happens" *Slickwidit*
Score goals - 800+ (85 points away)
Message 85 of 112
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker  Honestly I have 50 but its years of managing my Cc's and maintaining Good credit Lol!

Message 86 of 112
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@CaliCreditNoob  ... Once I established what my true credit goals were, @Anonymous set me straight and helped me realize that spacing out applications and gardening were how to achieve what I wanted  ... (high scores and high limits with fewer cards)

I should also clarify that you can still apply for and have LOTS of cards and still get high limits and maintain high scores, however those people usually have a LONG credit history and THICK profile. When you're new in the game (like me), slow and steady is how you get there.

+1   For me, it's never been about the NUMBER of cards.  I've had credit for over 35 years.  If I had added a potentially reasonable average of 4 cards every year over all that time, I would have over 140 cards!! Smiley Surprised   But so what??  The one with the most cards doesn't win!  I didn't want numbers.  But that is one major answer: TIME is what it takes to build a huge number or cards. 

And what is the point of more and more cards?  More cards won't raise my credit score after I get above just a few.   Credit limits are not money in my pocket; they are actually potential DEBTS and liabilities.  Some people can't handle having the temptation to run up large bills that they can't pay.    They aren't going to impress anybody; nobody sees my entire credit history in a snapshot, save for an occassional lender's manual review or a signature on My Fico.  They can be a hassle; each account needs some attention to make sure cards are used, transactions are accurate, bills are paid, no fraud is commited.   In some cases, as pointed out in the thread, too much credit may keep you from getting new cards that you really want more and can use.  

For me, it's about the QUALITY, not the QUANTITY.  And it's about having cards that I can benefit from based on my financial situation.

I currently have 18 cards in my signature.  Over all my years with credit, I've closed many more cards than you see here.   A few years ago, I culled my card list down to simplify and get rid of cards that served no good purpose.  I made lists of my cards, scored them, and kept the cards that were oldest (4 over 20 years), had the best rewards for my spending, had the best benefits, had the highest credit limits, or had the lowest APRs.  After that, I believe I only had 8 cards about three years ago and much lower limits.  Since then, I've added some great cards that give me much better rewards than I had previously, better benefits, lower APRs and higher limits.  Plus, many had SUBs as well.  Win-win.  But there was a purpose to my app'ing.  I study the lenders, the cards, their competitors, and read all the fine print before I pick a target card.  I avoid applying in the heat of the moment.   I usually plan for months before I act on a new card. 

My philosophy is what @KLEXH25 said, but I'll paraphase and add to it a bit.  My goal is to build a selected portfolio of higher credit-limit cards from a diverse group of quality lenders with industry-leading rewards and benefits that fit my spending and lifestyle. 

I'm fortunate to be in that group that @KLEXH25 referred to, with a thick file and high income which has allowed me to maintain an 800+ score while adding new cards.   I usually suggest no more than one new card every six months for most profiles, and that will usually keep your progress stable while preventing denials due to excessive credit-seeking, even from conservative lenders like Chase or US Bank.  

And if you move too fast, even seasoned profiles like mine can get a denial for too many new accounts, because it's happened to me recently!   Slow and steady wins the race.  And the race is a marathon, not a sprint.  Pace yourself. 

Can always count on Aim High to educate the masses!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 87 of 112
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@gingerflower wrote:

@longtimelurker  Honestly I have 50 but its years of managing my Cc's and maintaining Good credit Lol!

Look, anyone can come on here and claim that have lots of cards.   Just PM me the numbers, exp dates, codes and billing address, and I will verify (or otherwise) for the forum by making some purchases.   OK?

Message 88 of 112
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@gingerflower wrote:

Look, anyone can come on here and claim that have lots of cards.   Just PM me the numbers, exp dates, codes and billing address, and I will verify (or otherwise) for the forum by making some purchases.   OK?

IMG_1445.jpg

It's a little outdated now, but does this also work?

Message 89 of 112
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Does Botox punch card count? 

I'd hate to include it in screenshot, then get fact checked. 

Message 90 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.