cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do 5% cash back cards make money for the issuer?

tag
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Re: How do 5% cash back cards make money for the issuer?

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Discover makes most of its money from interest/fees on BTs as well as cross-selling personal loans. As their financial reports show, the cards themselves get fairly little spend. And the few "heavy" spenders face a quarterly cap, anyway.

This is why I make sure that I double that cap!

Two cards are better than one. (I could actually use a thirdSmiley Tongue)

Yes, but for the few CC owners who are maximizing bonus categories, an even smaller subset has "duplicate cards".  It's just not a large number of people doing this for it to be a concern for Discover.

Message 11 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Discover makes most of its money from interest/fees on BTs as well as cross-selling personal loans. As their financial reports show, the cards themselves get fairly little spend. And the few "heavy" spenders face a quarterly cap, anyway.

This is why I make sure that I double that cap!

Two cards are better than one. (I could actually use a thirdSmiley Tongue)

Yes, but for the few CC owners who are maximizing bonus categories, an even smaller subset has "duplicate cards".  It's just not a large number of people doing this for it to be a concern for Discover.

You make a very valid point!

At one time I was going to combine them and have one with a larger CL, but I realized I needed two,

as to maximize on having a larger cap. for spend. Also the second one I just met the 5+5 cash back match.

So it was effectively 10% (At the end of one year)

I still at some point may combine the two, and apply for another one,

in order to get a larger CL on card #1 and then get another year of cash back match, after opening another.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does this still work? It was my understanding that Discover now only offers that cashback match if you have never had it before.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.