Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do GE soft pull CLIs work?

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

How do GE soft pull CLIs work?

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I just had a CA for an old CO show up and it's reporting incorrectly on TU. The error has had a serious negative impact on my score (not updated in my sig below... it's currently sitting at 608). I've filed a dispute and am sitting back to await the results. I had this same type of error occur last year and had the dispute settled in my favor, so I have hope (I'll update my sig after this is resolved).

In the meantime, the statement for my Dillard's Amex just cut. I've really been looking forward to hitting the luv button, as I should be due for an increase. But, will GE soft pull at that point in time and see my drastic score drop? Or, do they pull in advance of the statement cutting and either have an increase offer waiting for you or not? I'd love to see if I have an increase waiting, but I don't want to do anything that could raise GE's eyebrows and have them take any AA.

So, does anyone have any solid knowledge on how the CLI procedure works for GE? Thanks in advance.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

Re: How do GE soft pull CLIs work?

@tinuviel wrote:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I just had a CA for an old CO show up and it's reporting incorrectly on TU. The error has had a serious negative impact on my score (not updated in my sig below... it's currently sitting at 608). I've filed a dispute and am sitting back to await the results. I had this same type of error occur last year and had the dispute settled in my favor, so I have hope (I'll update my sig after this is resolved).

In the meantime, the statement for my Dillard's Amex just cut. I've really been looking forward to hitting the luv button, as I should be due for an increase. But, will GE soft pull at that point in time and see my drastic score drop? Or, do they pull in advance of the statement cutting and either have an increase offer waiting for you or not? I'd love to see if I have an increase waiting, but I don't want to do anything that could raise GE's eyebrows and have them take any AA.

So, does anyone have any solid knowledge on how the CLI procedure works for GE? Thanks in advance.

I did request a CLI on JCP a few days a go.  No soft pull on that day, however I did notice they did pull a soft for an account review two months a go. $2400-$4900 CLI

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

In my situation, with the collection that didnt belong to me, they didnt take any AA but declined the CLI. I would wait until its gone then ask its pretty much an automatic no beforehand.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I applied for a CLI yesterday for carecredit and was told it would be a soft.  They gave me 1000,00 bucks.  Happy about that BUT

I got a SW alert today for a new inquiry from GEMB.

I want to write them to remove the inquiry, but I'm afraid they'll take away my CLI if I do.

Oh well - I have SO MANY inquiries for buying a house and a car and credit apps that I'm pretty much S.O.L for now.  10 inquiries on EQ alone.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Booner72 wrote:

I applied for a CLI yesterday for carecredit and was told it would be a soft.  They gave me 1000,00 bucks.  Happy about that BUT

I got a SW alert today for a new inquiry from GEMB.

I want to write them to remove the inquiry, but I'm afraid they'll take away my CLI if I do.

Oh well - I have SO MANY inquiries for buying a house and a car and credit apps that I'm pretty much S.O.L for now.  10 inquiries on EQ alone.

CareCredit is a strange beast when it comes to asking for CLIs. There's no luv button on my DH's Care Credit account; we'd have to call in and request an increase. So, I'm really asking about the mechanics of GE accounts such as Dillards, JC Penny, Lowe's, etc.

Sorry about the hard hit. Smiley Sad

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Well, I can tell you I hit the JCP luv button yesterday and didn't get a hard hit from them, so I agree carecredit is a strange one - they don't have a CLI increase on their website on my acct, either.

JCP gave me 1000 CLI yesterday too.   2 months ago they had given me 500 - My score is down right now due to new accts so I'm surprised they gave me anything.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Booner72 wrote:

Well, I can tell you I hit the JCP luv button yesterday and didn't get a hard hit from them, so I agree carecredit is a strange one - they don't have a CLI increase on their website on my acct, either.

JCP gave me 1000 CLI yesterday too.   2 months ago they had given me 500 - My score is down right now due to new accts so I'm surprised they gave me anything.

Well, no, JCP doesn't pull hard; I'm aware of that. I hit the luv button last month, as well, and got an increase. Smiley Happy

But, what I'm asking is this -- do they soft pull at the time of the request, or do that do that in advance of the statement cutting and have an offer waiting? How does the soft pull procedure work? Does anyone know?

Message 7 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Bump... does anyone have any inside knowledge on this?

Message 8 of 10
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

I don't have inside knowledge, but I'm virtually certain that they pull ahead of time.  How do I know that?  Well, if you have a fast connection, you'll notice that when you hit the luv button, your answer is available for you in a nanosecond.  I mean, it's a fraction of a second, or maybe a second... maybe two?  It's not like you have to wait for a minute or even 30 seconds.  No program can request a credit pull, get it from the credit bureau, analyze it even in an automated fashion, and spit an answer back at you all the way across the country (conceivably) where you are, in less than one second.

Hard pulls result in watching the little spinner spinning around while they do all that.

Decisions relying on soft pulls are available for you upon request, because the answer is already sitting there waiting for you to request it.  They did a pull for you a month or more ago and the data they need from that pull is already "in their system."

Now, I do think that internally at GE Money bank, they may have a set of hoops to be jumped through digitally, but it's probably like, "IF stated income is higher than X and IF customer's balance is lower than Y and IF customer has not received increase fewer than Z months ago, then..."  and you get your answer.

Moderator Emeritus

@ChesterPDexter wrote:

I don't have inside knowledge, but I'm virtually certain that they pull ahead of time.  How do I know that?  Well, if you have a fast connection, you'll notice that when you hit the luv button, your answer is available for you in a nanosecond.  I mean, it's a fraction of a second, or maybe a second... maybe two?  It's not like you have to wait for a minute or even 30 seconds.  No program can request a credit pull, get it from the credit bureau, analyze it even in an automated fashion, and spit an answer back at you all the way across the country (conceivably) where you are, in less than one second.

Hard pulls result in watching the little spinner spinning around while they do all that.

Decisions relying on soft pulls are available for you upon request, because the answer is already sitting there waiting for you to request it.  They did a pull for you a month or more ago and the data they need from that pull is already "in their system."

Now, I do think that internally at GE Money bank, they may have a set of hoops to be jumped through digitally, but it's probably like, "IF stated income is higher than X and IF customer's balance is lower than Y and IF customer has not received increase fewer than Z months ago, then..."  and you get your answer.

Thank you! That's what I was hoping. I gathered up the nerve and hit the luv button.... 1700CL -> 4200CL... a $2500 increase!!!!!

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.