Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I become a regular Joe again?

tag
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

How do I become a regular Joe again?

After playing the utilization game for so long (over 2 years) to get my scores up (780) and accomplish my goals (car/house) I am now ready to become a regular Joe. The question is, is there a best way to do this? Do you just let whatever balances you have start reporting? Reading some of the AA (CLD/Closures) other members are experiencing has me a little spooked. Has anyone had any AA against them once they started to let balances report?

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I become a regular Joe again?

As long as your accounts don't have any of the traits that are obvious red flags to lenders (e.g., lots and lots of store cards, overinflated CL's, cards not being used regularly over a considerable period of time even though they have substantial CL's available, etc.) and you continue to pursue good habits of responsible spending and payment, I personally don't see any problems.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have all my cards on autopay from my bank account. Everything gets paid each month and I don't need to think much about when each charge gets paid. Your utilization percentage is only important if you're looking for new credit or if you're nearly maxing out your credit every month. If you're not doing either of those things, then I wouldn't worry about it. It changes every month according to your spending anyway, and there are no long-term effects from it.

Message 3 of 12
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

I can't answer on AA; I haven't experienced any. But now that I have what is for me, usable limits and I know that I cannot app for anything any time soon (Smiley LOL), I no longer worry about statement dates, etc. 

I PIF based on card due dates and my two paydates per month.

This was one of my main motivations of getting nice limits...no need to worry about util. E.g. my normal spend on any card does not exceed 10-15% of the limit. (I use WM/Target/AMEX BCE for groceries, WM for gas (at sams), Marvel for entertainment/dining out and QS for other monthly recurring charges)

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 4 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'd avoid the extremes, such as having huge balances report. But I think that's a good habit to have anyway.

You might want to start this out gradually. You don't "need" the 780 score, but you don't want it to totally tank either. Try some things, see what happens, decide what score is acceptable to you, etc.

If we knew your cards, limits, and approximately how you use them, people could probably get more specific.

Message 5 of 12
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the replies. I guess I'll slowly wade into the water by letting a new card report each month until they all start reporting balance. My spend is not super high, but since I started traveling, once or twice a year there is a big travel purchase. 

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 6 of 12
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I'd avoid the extremes, such as having huge balances report. But I think that's a good habit to have anyway.

You might want to start this out gradually. You don't "need" the 780 score, but you don't want it to totally tank either. Try some things, see what happens, decide what score is acceptable to you, etc.

If we knew your cards, limits, and approximately how you use them, people could probably get more specific.

All my cards get use monthly, from netflix/hulu to grocery and gas. I usually rotate which one card reported for that month. I am just ready to stop with the micro managing of my accounts. I will take your advise and ease back into it. 

Message 7 of 12
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

I've found that the debitize service is very helpful with all this. They will pay your cards for you each month. I used to never let any balances report but I've found with debitize that I don't have to worry about it. Balances report and then get paid and all is well.

Just my two cents Smiley Happy

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 8 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

I have 25 cards now, 16 to 19 of which may report something from tens to $7k recently. 

I went through AA up until early 2013, nothing since after balances came down. 

I am of the opinion that letting balances report is a communication method to all the banks I deal with, that the SP info is letting them get used to the balances, reducing the chances of AA from any one situation. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 12
rlx01
Established Contributor

Autopay. Let all balances report. That's it.

Life's too short to micromanage util unless you're planning to apply for something.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.