cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I proceed? Garden or do I app for 1 more?

tag
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

Re: How do I proceed? Garden or do I app for 1 more?

@SarcasticComputer wrote:

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

Seems like the consensus is to wait. I guess I have the app itch, but I just feel like I need 1 more to make my collection complete. Is 31% a very high utilization? I did recon the chase card and was declined. I then recon the recon and was again declined. The lady said try again in 4-6 months when all my new accounts report. *sigh* 

Yeah, 31% is high for a new card generally speaking, you want it in the 1-9% range for optimal scoring points.  Anything here on out to 1 year, will more than likely result in denials.  Wait till then, work on the util, and grow the lines you have now. Your scores will be better off in the long run, and the inquiries won't count against you after a year FICO wise

Generally speaking, do creditors care after six months  in regards to inquiries? 

The short answer is "yes".

Look... I read what you have listed in your wallet and I counted 12 cards? I may have double counted 1 or 2. What other card /category/vendor is there for you to app for?

Your AAofA is not all that high and you util is rather high. I may be wrong but I'm assuming that you are looking for that one card with a huge credit line (i.e. 10k+). Unfortunately, you dont have the numbers to justify that right now. Take a breather and enjoy the garden for a while (its actually a cool place to be). A few posters here have advised to take a year off. I would actually advise longer. You will be thankful in the future.

Message 11 of 14
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

That's arguable... I don't think they care as much after six months, but ideally you'd want all your inqs to fall off.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 12 of 14
SarcasticComputer
Valued Member

@tmbr10 wrote:

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

Seems like the consensus is to wait. I guess I have the app itch, but I just feel like I need 1 more to make my collection complete. Is 31% a very high utilization? I did recon the chase card and was declined. I then recon the recon and was again declined. The lady said try again in 4-6 months when all my new accounts report. *sigh* 

Yeah, 31% is high for a new card generally speaking, you want it in the 1-9% range for optimal scoring points.  Anything here on out to 1 year, will more than likely result in denials.  Wait till then, work on the util, and grow the lines you have now. Your scores will be better off in the long run, and the inquiries won't count against you after a year FICO wise

Generally speaking, do creditors care after six months  in regards to inquiries? 

The short answer is "yes".

Look... I read what you have listed in your wallet and I counted 12 cards? I may have double counted 1 or 2. What other card /category/vendor is there for you to app for?

Your AAofA is not all that high and you util is rather high. I may be wrong but I'm assuming that you are looking for that one card with a huge credit line (i.e. 10k+). Unfortunately, you dont have the numbers to justify that right now. Take a breather and enjoy the garden for a while (its actually a cool place to be). A few posters here have advised to take a year off. I would actually advise longer. You will be thankful in the future.

Honestly. You are correct. I think I knew this, but NEEDED to hear it. So the plan is: Garden, soft pull CLI when I can, and go from here. Thanks everyone. Sometimes you just need to hear what you already know. 

Message 13 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Hello all! I need some help with my current situation. I am looking to get into the garden very soon, but I am not sure if there is anything else I should do before entering the garden. I feel like I need one more card and then I will be complete for a while. I plan to garden in order to allow my credit limits to grow and to allow my inquiries fall off. I am currently switching between my freedom card, my discover, and my Amex cards. Would I be approved for any of the Blue cards from Amex or is it too early?

My stats are as follows:

55k+ annual income

7 yrs, 7 months old account

4 years for AAOA

9 inquires in the last six months (I think this may be a problem)

31% utilization 

0 baddies

Accounts opened in the past 2 months:

Discover IT, Zync, Amex PRG, Delta Skymiles Gold, Upgrade from Store card Walmart to Discover Walmart

I recently applied for the Chase Amazon Visa, but was denied due to the amount of inquires. 

No more new accounts for atleast 6 months. Too many INQ's and your utilization high.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.