cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove a joint Credit Card from my Credit Report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I remove a joint Credit Card from my Credit Report?

My mother added a card, in my name, to her account.  She recently fell into financial trouble (last year) and the card went into collections.  The card is now paid off and closed but is showing up on my Report (as a joint card).  I assume this will affect my FICO score and wish to remove it as I was not the primary Card Holder nor have I even used it in the past 2 years.  Does anyone know if this is possible and, if so, how to go about it?

I appreciate any help regarding this matter.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I remove a joint Credit Card from my Credit Report?

If you signed the application- you are gonna be stuck

You can try a "Not mine" dispute.

@Anonymous wrote:
My mother added a card, in my name, to her account. She recently fell into financial trouble (last year) and the card went into collections. The card is now paid off and closed but is showing up on my Report (as a joint card). I assume this will affect my FICO score and wish to remove it as I was not the primary Card Holder nor have I even used it in the past 2 years. Does anyone know if this is possible and, if so, how to go about it?
I appreciate any help regarding this matter.

Message 2 of 14
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

If it is truly a joint card, it is your debt and is showing up correctly
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any other type of card it can be?  We did not sign up for it at the same time she only added me.  Smiley Sad

Thank you for your response
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could have been a AU (authorized user) that was reported wrong.

If you dispute it - the worse thing that can happen is they verify it is a joint account- and do nothing.

@Anonymous wrote:
Is there any other type of card it can be? We did not sign up for it at the same time she only added me. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 14
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

newyork21 wrote:
Is there any other type of card it can be?  We did not sign up for it at the same time she only added me.  Smiley Sad

You could be an AU, but if it is showing up as joint, it seems like joint.  Does it show as "joint" or "shared" on all three CRs?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I think that's what I was on it, an AU.  I just called Equifax and they suggested I call the CC Co., I will try that. 

Thank you for your replies.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It says Joint... Smiley Sad  I believe it should be AU.  Actually it shouldn't be anything as I had requested I be removed from the card before her financial state took a turn for the worse.  I will have to call the CC isuer and take it up with them.

I didn't know you can be added as a joint.  Does it affect your score differently Joint vs. AU?

Something that was meant to help my credit ended up hurting it in the end, go figure...
Message 8 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Call the bank, tell them you wish to be removed from the card. What bank is the card with?
Since it is joint, they will have to send you a form, that both parties sign saying who wants to be removed and who wants to take over responsibility of the account.
The person staying on the account is signing that they want this account on there own and they will pay it.  Most experience I have had with this is very easy to do and they just remove, HOWEVER, some banks will actually pull credit and see if they would want to offer that person a card (this card) with just there credit. if they feel it is not good enough, they will leave the account as is and you would still be on it.
Banks that I have done it easy, Nordstrom, Citibank
Banks that declined the removal of joint - Chase, Usbank

That's my experience.

BUT, if you do get your name removed than you can go to your credit reports and say this was not my account your name was on it by mistake or something, it has been removed now, will you now remove it from my credit file.  it might still stick but you would have a better chance fighting it if it is a closed account on your file because you have been removed from joint then if it was still a current account you own.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a Chase card and I believe I have already done that signature page with them over a year ago.  I will have to look into this further.  My head is spinning right now ha!

Thank you
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.