cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do Returns impact Discover IT Bonus/Cash back?

tag
supervelous
Regular Contributor

How do Returns impact Discover IT Bonus/Cash back?

So, this quarter online shopping is 5% for the Discover IT card.  The new Ipads came out, and I wanted one for myself, and for my girlfriend for her birthday present.  Ordered 2 through Shop Discover, so I got 5% cash back from bonus category of online shopping, plus additional 5% through shop discover.

Now, at about $670 each, this almost entirely covers my $1,500 bonus max per quarter for online shopping.  However, I just figured out I need $6,200 in car repairs unexpectedly, and will be returning my iPad (but not the girlfriends) to Apple.  This brings about a couple questions:

1.  Will my cashback be reversed?  I already earned it as my statement just cut today, will the return lower my cash back bonus.  I think it's fair if it does, no complaints, but really I need to know number 2:

2.  Will this also bring my bonus spend from the $1,340 back to $670?  This is important as I am buying multiple Xbox Ones to resell, and trying to optimize the bonus spend on different cards.  If my iPad return brings me back to $670 in bonus spend, that means I can put $830 more on the card at 5% for this quarter.  BUT if it doesn't bring my bonus spend back to $670, it means my best play is to only put $160 more on the Discover and then use another cash back card like my Freedom for any remaining bonus purchases.  

Anyone have any experience with this?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Brax
Frequent Contributor

Re: How do Returns impact Discover IT Bonus/Cash back?

1. Yes your corrected cashback amount should eventually be updated to reflect the return, but it may not show up until the next statement. If you ordered through the Apple Online Store, I would very carefully check your statement that just cut, as the ShopDiscover terms and conditions for the Apple Online Store clearly state the additional 5% ShopDiscover bonus doesn't apply: "Offer not valid on new iPad Air, iPad Mini with Retina display or iPhone 5s". However, the 5% Cashback online shopping this quarter would still apply.

2. Yes, your bonus spend cap for this quarter will get adjusted accordingly. If there is an issue on the next statement, call customer service to resolve it.

On a side note, hopefully those are multiple Xbox One - Day One editions you plan to resell!

Message 2 of 4
supervelous
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info, and yes those are Day One Editions.  I ordered 2 through Amazon, 1 from Gamestop, 1 from Best Buy.com, 1 from Microsoft Store and 1 from Walmart.  Also did the same thing with PS4's, and trying to max out my card bonuses.  I put $1,500 through Amazon on the PS4's with my Chase Freedom so I'm already at their cap for the bonus.  So need to figure out how much I need to put on Discover for my Xbox orders, then maybe the rest will buy Amazon gift cards from grocery store with my BCP for 6%.

Message 3 of 4
supervelous
Regular Contributor

@Brax wrote:

1. Yes your corrected cashback amount should eventually be updated to reflect the return, but it may not show up until the next statement. If you ordered through the Apple Online Store, I would very carefully check your statement that just cut, as the ShopDiscover terms and conditions for the Apple Online Store clearly state the additional 5% ShopDiscover bonus doesn't apply: "Offer not valid on new iPad Air, iPad Mini with Retina display or iPhone 5s". However, the 5% Cashback online shopping this quarter would still apply.

2. Yes, your bonus spend cap for this quarter will get adjusted accordingly. If there is an issue on the next statement, call customer service to resolve it.

On a side note, hopefully those are multiple Xbox One - Day One editions you plan to resell!

FYI, just checked and they gave me 5% Shop Discover bonus, on 2 iPad Airs, along with the 5% online shopping as well.  This was on 2 iPad Air cellular models, T-Mobile, chose in store pickup.   This is from Shop Discover showing what I got bonus on in this recently closed period.

Apple:  $62.90

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.